Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a very specific question. I want to swap a 460 EFI out of a f250 1990 xlt extra cab into my Bronco 1988 which has a 302 with automatic trany. The f250 is only RWD not 4wd, the question is if I can still use the same transmission from the f250 and match it to my transfer case that I have in my bronco right now?. Or will I need a different transmission with a different transfer case for my bronco?. Also, other than the complete engine, transmission, computer, wire harness, what else do I want to get from the f250 for the swap?.

Excuse my ignorance but I am not very knowledgable about this topic and I tried to search but could not find and answer to my question.

Thanks guys

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Gbronco1 said:
Hi guys, I have a very specific question. I want to swap a 460 EFI out of a f250 1990 xlt extra cab into my Bronco 1988 which has a 302 with automatic trany. The f250 is only RWD not 4wd, the question is if I can still use the same transmission from the f250 and match it to my transfer case that I have in my bronco right now?. Or will I need a different transmission with a different transfer case for my bronco?. Also, other than the complete engine, transmission, computer, wire harness, what else do I want to get from the f250 for the swap?.

Excuse my ignorance but I am not very knowledgable about this topic and I tried to search but could not find and answer to my question.

Thanks guys
Ive said these exact words at least 15 times: ALL FORD T CASES BOLT UP TO ALL 4X4 FORD TRANNYS NO MATTER WHAT YEAR, WHAT MODEL, WHAT THEY SMELL LIKE, IT DOESNT MATTER!:thumbup

And about a million times on here>>>>
302-351W: Small block bellhousing
351M-400M, 429, 460: Big block bellhousing
360,390, 428 FE: FE bellhousing

A bellhousing is what bolts the tranny on your block, auto trannies have integrated bells, so if you have an auto you need a new tranny (and it has to be 4x4.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
81Bronk36 said:
Ive said these exact words at least 15 times: ALL FORD T CASES BOLT UP TO ALL 4X4 FORD TRANNYS NO MATTER WHAT YEAR, WHAT MODEL, WHAT THEY SMELL LIKE, IT DOESNT MATTER!:thumbup
Ouch, you missed a very important point here:

Gbronco1 said:
...The f250 is only RWD not 4wd, the question is if I can still use the same transmission from the f250 and match it to my transfer case that I have in my bronco right now?...
The F-250 has a 2WD transmission, so no, that transmission will not work for your swap. Nor, as Bronk pointed out, will the tranny currently in your Bronco bolt up to the big block. If you look at the bellhousing list above, you can see you can use the transmission from any 351M/400, or any 372/429/460, as long as it was in a 4WD to start with.

As for the rest of the info (wiring harness, etc.) I know it's been posted, and I don't have the answer off the top of my head -- try a good, thorough search on the board and you should find everything you need. Good luck! :twotu:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I plan on doing the same swap in a couple mounts, one thing that came to my mind was the fuel return system for 460 EFI, you must put in a return line to the tank (I have read to slice it into the rubber hose where you put gas in at) and make sure you get the high pressure pump with a fuel resoivor if not you will starve the motor, also from what I have read the gas foot pedal for a 460 efi is differant then the carbed motors (dont know how accrate it is but check). If the F250 is right there then when you take it apart and start the swap you can have the donar parts on hand, if its in a junkyard and your getting it cheap anything that is connected to the motor take with you.. Thansk my 2cents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts