Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 1979 bronco and i took out the 400 that was in there because the engine blew and wanted to put in a 429 that i have but the motor mounts are completely diferant, so is there any mounts that i could buy to make this work?

·
Registered
527 Posts
This is a rather common swap, and requires a few things to actually complete.
Many companies make conversion engine mounts, and they range from simple mounts like those made by L&L, to a more fabricated mount like the ones from AutoFab.
Any of these are simple to use, and its your choice which ones to use.
Next issue is the exhaust. many pass side manifolds cant be used, and will come in contact with the frame. Headers are a good way to go. Try not to cut the frame to gain clearance because the frame will crack or fail at this area after it is modified. Finding the correct manifold, or using headers is a far better choice.
Again, L&L is a good choice for headers.
Next item is the accessory brackets. Since the 429 was found in cars, the power steering brackets were different, and the location of the accessories were such that will require new brackets. You will have to relocate the power steering pump so that it mounts higher and away from the crossmember.
Brackets from a van (Econoline with a 460) will work, or you can buy them from L&L too.

Matter of fact, L&L makes a complete kit for this conversion, and is available with headers, brackets, engine mounts, and all the goodies required to pull this swap off. While the kit may seem expensive, it is worth its weight in gold. This kit is complete and takes all of the headaches away.

Good luck with the swap.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I used the complete L+L kit when I swapped the 429 in the 250. I have heard that 360 motor mounts will work for this swap but don't know which model year.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
My dad swapped a 429 into his factory 360 equipped 68 back in the early 80s. The man selling him the motor said the 360 mounts would work. I being the dumb teenager said I didn't think they would since the 360 is an FE series motor and the 429 is a 385 series motor. The motor mounts DID NOT work.

Now obviously if I was a young teen in the early eighties I am not young now. I say they WILL NOT work. Of course I may still be dumb?

tim

·
Registered
710 Posts
what year is the 429? I'm asking because I'm putting a 460 in a vehicle right now, but if you've got anything over a 1970 model engine it needs help!!! $265 in pistons (for kb137 flat tops), and having your heads ported will help you tons. Sticking another cam in it and a better distributor and you've got a beast then.

My 460 stock only made like 206hp... that is crap out of a 750lb motor.

just saying, for a few bucks it'll run like the devil was behind it.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176781

check out that thread for engine mods to your 429... dr. ford put some really great information on it regarding my question about my 460!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks guys, i was also wondering i have the flywheel still atached to my 400 will it bolt up to the 429 or will i have to buy a new one?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Trans Dapt prob has the cheapest conversion motor mounts. They ARE solid steel-no rubber. I run them, and don't notice any extra vibration, or harmonics.

As to acc brackets, I just moved the factory 70 429 bracket up one hole on the water pump. It now has only one bolt to the water pump, instead of two. After 2 years, it has held up to numerous 6K rpm runs. The big issue is cooling one of these old high comp motors. I run premium, plus lead substitute, and octanee booster. It still pings like crazy, under a moderate load, and constantly runs hot. I tried a 4 core radiator, with little success. Now, I have a large all aluminum 3 core, thaat is a little better than the 4 core. My mech temp gauge still creeps up over 205, on hot days, or extended highway miles.

My experience has been that the 429 pass exhaust manifolds will clear the frame, with no problems. You must use a neeutral balance flexplate, or flywheel, NOT the external balance 400 part.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
most of the info from the post above please disregard unless you like half doing a job

this link is a list of stuff that will make the swap as painless as it can be http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/460/index.htm
blasts

So, WHAT did I "half do"?. I agree that I have a cooling issue, which I am trying to fix. The power steering pump mount has held in place for numerous sustained high rpm blasts. The factory 429 exhaust manifolds fit without any frame mods. BTW, I used the solid steel mounts on purpose. Obviously, you are one of THOSE people, who only recognizes their methods as correct.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
blasts

So, WHAT did I "half do"?. I agree that I have a cooling issue, which I am trying to fix. The power steering pump mount has held in place for numerous sustained high rpm blasts. The factory 429 exhaust manifolds fit without any frame mods. BTW, I used the solid steel mounts on purpose. Obviously, you are one of THOSE people, who only recognizes their methods as correct.
:histerica

you seem to know what you have half done as you keep listing them

my methods are correct :goodfinge

I don't have cooling problems

my power steering is secured using all intended fasteners as the engineers that designed it originally for some reason they felt more then two bolts were needed to hold the pump assembly on the engine must be because they had extra bolts to get rid of

429 exhaust manifolds have a 2.25 exhaust dump plus only a small handfull fit and most are cracked
correct truck manifolds have a 2.5 exhaust dump and correctly routes the pipe typically can hold up longer in the harsher conditons a truck offeres

solid steel mounts are not even a good idea on a daily driver mud boggers and the like are fine as you go into those projects with the knowledge you will be welding stuff back together on a regular basis

keep doing what your doing :toothless

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My dad swapped a 429 into his factory 360 equipped 68 back in the early 80s. The man selling him the motor said the 360 mounts would work. I being the dumb teenager said I didn't think they would since the 360 is an FE series motor and the 429 is a 385 series motor. The motor mounts DID NOT work.

Now obviously if I was a young teen in the early eighties I am not young now. I say they WILL NOT work. Of course I may still be dumb?

tim
your not dumb but they will work you need to drill another hole to get it to mount to the 460 these mounts is not recommend for the swap only one worse is the performance unlimited ones

Hey thanks guys, i was also wondering i have the flywheel still atached to my 400 will it bolt up to the 429 or will i have to buy a new one?
400 flywheel has a different bolt pattern it shares it with the rest of smaller engine family like the 302

429/460 only shares its flywheel pattern with the FE series engine like 360/390

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was wondering if there is a way to to take off the front clip? Im not to sure wat to call it but the front part of the bronco where the radiator is bolted to. im just trying to find an easier way to get the engine into the truck because my engine lift is not tall enuf, or if there is an easier way to do this, any help/info would be great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts