Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too sure if I'm asking in the right section or not (I'm sure someone will let me know)....

I'm thinking about doing a SAS & 9" swap to my 1990 Bronco (EFI 351W, E4OD, BW 1356),
I searched around and either totally missed the info or just didn't find it.

I have a line on a extremely rusty 1979 Bronco, it runs and drives good, so I figure it might be a good parts donor.

I figure the D44 will work from it for the SAS if I grab the coils and coil buckets from the 1979 to put in to the 1990, correct?
What else would I need to save from the donor?

Will the 9" from the 1979 Bronco fit into the 1990 or do I have to locate a 9" from an early 80's Bronco/Truck?
I'm not worried about the lack of ABS.

I understant that the driveshafts will be a bit of a problem,
and I can deal with the idea of having to spend some money for driveshafts to be made up if needed.

Basically,
I need to know what I should keep off the 1979 donor in order to get the desired result of a SAS & 9" swapped into my 1990 Bronco.

Thanks for any help that can be shared.:beer

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
all of the answers to your questions are answered in this forum, so keep diggin. the search function makes it go faster.

to run the 9" with your E4OD, you're going to need to figure out what to do about the VSS if its not located on your t-case. if its in the axle, your tranny is not gonna be too happy

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Dragon said:
I searched around and either totally missed the info or just didn't find it.
you must be tired from all the searching?

Its a shame that there is no info about puting a 79 dana 44 into the front of a ttb bronco. i sure wish someone would do a write up or at maybe a few people could post pics and info about their swaps. it would be even cooler if we could make some stickies at the top, say about something like what people used, how much money, etc, etc. Maybe one of the admin guys like bronkzilla could do something like that, I hear he is pretty good with a computer (at least I heard he spends lots of time under computer desks on his knees). Then, just maybe, someone would try and put a leaf sprung 44 in the front instead. That would be uber cool/

:banghead

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
plug ugly said:
you must be tired from all the searching?

Its a shame that there is no info about puting a 79 dana 44 into the front of a ttb bronco. i sure wish someone would do a write up or at maybe a few people could post pics and info about their swaps. it would be even cooler if we could make some stickies at the top, say about something like what people used, how much money, etc, etc. Maybe one of the admin guys like bronkzilla could do something like that, I hear he is pretty good with a computer (at least I heard he spends lots of time under computer desks on his knees). Then, just maybe, someone would try and put a leaf sprung 44 in the front instead. That would be uber cool/

:banghead
:doh0715: now why would ever want to put a leafed d44 in the front of a bko...especially with how good a ttb works....:histerica you would have to be nuts to try that....:goodfinge

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW!!
Thanks for all the helpful answers......:rolleyes:

Not worth wasteing anymore time asking about stuff,
don't feel like reading the BS that follows.

Well back to searching again,
I know it is out there somewhere,
eventually I'll find the info I'm after.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
316 Posts
redwagon said:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29
read thru the red sections....every swap is a little different...and just hang on the donor vehicle until done with the swap that way if there are parts you need you can rob them of it...thats what I have been doing.

and after you get done with reading this go to this site
http://www.2bigbroncos.com/
and read through their "Technical 4x4 white papers"
there is good stuff and links to people like Brian who did a gerat step by step walk through of more than you want to know do not forget to link into peoples supermotors site info like shadowfax some more real good stuf or every peersons sas swap thread crazed or mine I added some good pics of the things I fab'd or should I say copied from shadowfax (thanks)
you can even do searches on yahoo or google you'd be surprised at all the stuff you will find

it's just hard for everyone who has searched so much to hear people say they search and do not find anything

wow and you have been on this site since sept 2005????

well for now I will sit back and watch
:popc1:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
woodydog said:
and after you get done with reading this go to this site
there is good stuff and links to people like Brian who did a gerat step by step walk through of more than you want to know do not forget to link into peoples supermotors site info like shadowfax some more real good stuf or every peersons sas swap thread crazed or mine I added some good pics of the things I fab'd or should I say copied from shadowfax (thanks)
you can even do searches on yahoo or google you'd be surprised at all the stuff you will find

it's just hard for everyone who has searched so much to hear people say they search and do not find anything

wow and you have been on this site since sept 2005????

well for now I will sit back and watch
:popc1:
:stupid

I have found thru extensive research and trial and error that when you ask a stupid question on this site....................well you know.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Joes93Bronco said:
:stupid

I have found thru extensive research and trial and error that when you ask a stupid question on this site....................well you know.

ok I may be a bit slow....... it would not be the first time..... or the last time.....but I really try to learn from my mistakes so please educate me ..... what was stupid about my answer......pick on me all you want it is entertaining:popc1:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
no no no.........that means i agree with what you said..........stupid.

:goodfinge

Joes93Bronco said:
and that wasnt directed at you either.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
woodydog said:
Thanks for the link,:beer
Until now, I had found more info at FTE regarding what I was thinking of doing.
Too bad some of the links aren't working for me on the site you mentioned,
it is still useful info to have though.

I had searched around here,
and for whatever reason I couldn't locate the answer I was trying to find,
should I get the donor for the swap project,
I can't hang on to it for more than 48hrs as I don't have the space to store it all,
so I really have to be certain of what I have to remove and keep.
I'm trying to have a better idea of what I need to save before I send the "leftovers" to the scrap yard.

I have found some articles/posts about installing the 1979 D44 into a newer Bronco/Truck, the link provided has useful info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...A_1978_F150_Straight_Axle_On_A_1995_F150.html

I know a 9" will fit in my 1990, I don't know if the 1979 axle will fit or if I have to get one from an 80's truck,
same as I haven't found a solid answer regarding the yoke for swapping the 9" axle in to the 1990.

In the last few months of having the 1990,
I started to consider the swap of a SAS & 9",
before that I was never too concerned about it.
Now I'm almost thinking it may be more of a hassle (especially when asking questions) than it is really worth doing.
Maybe I won't do the swap, why search out trouble......
Time will tell.

Back to searching out info, thanks for the useful answers/help.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dragon said:
Thanks for the link,:beer

Now I'm almost thinking it may be more of a hassle (especially when asking questions) than it is really worth doing.
Maybe I won't do the swap, why search out trouble......
Time will tell.

Back to searching out info, thanks for the useful answers/help.
if you look through and read all the Technical 4x4 stuff you will be able to find all the info - read he d 60 swap stuff it will link into the other good stuff

Be careful - not to be a jerk but - if you are even questioning doing the sas & rear swap - then you do not need it nor will you ever get the use out of it - just a waist of money & time -this is not done to be "cool" it is done because it is needed -

example the 8.8 rear is a "c" clip rear, a sure sign of not needing to do an sas & rear swap is if do not know what the ramification of having a "c" clip rear end is than it is fine and you should keep the 8.8 rear end where if you understand the effects of having a "C" clip rear than you might be a canidate to swap it out.

:thumbup

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts
a 90 doesnt have the VSS in the diff you will be ok to do the swap. When a person does the swap they will almost always post pictures of the progress. just start reading and looking. youll find the answer. and you ca ask questions while doing it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
It's hard to tell you to grab the donor. Sure you'll have axles. But when folks start talking about badly rusted, I'd say err on the safe side and assume you won't have useful parts like upper coil towers, lower retainers, coils, more than likely steering, and you may be looking at lots of the usual misc. knuckle out stuff that will need a refresh. So hopefully you're not too concerned about a "cheap" project.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
Dragon said:
WOW!!
Thanks for all the helpful answers......:rolleyes:

Not worth wasteing anymore time asking about stuff,
don't feel like reading the BS that follows.

Well back to searching again,
I know it is out there somewhere,
eventually I'll find the info I'm after.

Thanks for the help!
jesus christ, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I really dont want to help, but since you apparently are slow on the uptake, try reading the first few threads in this the SAS forum. Then try searching for "donor vehicle". Then, when you are done there, you can read through the COUNTLESS threads about 78 and 79 dana 44's. We have been doing axle swaps for years now, and I know that they have been written up and posted here. the info is there, in fact this ENTIRE FORUM of over 1000 threads and 18,000 posts is dedicated to just the type of info you are looking for. The hand holding is over, do it yourself

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Enough screwing with him. Maybe he'll be the next shadowfax if we help him.:imp
90 is an easy year for a swap. Get you wallet out and weigh it. That way you have a reference point for how much you've poured out of it in the end.

Pull everything suspension related, from front to back including the brackets. You can trade, sell or keep all of it, but most you will need if you have no money. Some guys use aftermarket radius arms, poor guys like me use the stock ones.
Cool guys make their own(crawler :cool: ) Got a welder? torch? grinder? hand file! If you do everything with a hacksaw you'll really make brownie points.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, Well I finally found exactly what I was after,
too bad I had to get the info from another site.
Info Answered!

I understand that my question(s) to some are stupid,:whiteflag
and to those that gave sarcasm instead of help..... did you know everything before you got here?

A big "Thank You" to Redwagon, Woodydog, Joes93Bronco, 1Clean5.8, Shadofax, Gacknar, and Bluesquirrel for your patience and help :beer

As for the swap, I didn't say I wanted to run leafs or a D60, Sterlings or whatever else is considered the best,
I asked something simple (maybe too simple for some) and eventually I found it.
Now I can sort out what I need to keep from the donor and go from there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.