Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I swapped in my back up EEC. Its a HOG0 same as the original. I plugged it in and drove it about 15 miles, then pulled codes both tests and got 111.

So I drove it again about 30 more miles and still 111.

I was getting a long list of codes with my old EEC and nothing so far with the other one. Transmission is still shifting like shit and sounding like shit. The engine seems to be running a little smoother.

Just wondering if the conditions that were there are still there, how long will it take for them to throw the codes again. The way its driving im amazed its not peppering me with codes.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drove it another 15 miles, still nothing. It would be great if I could believe it, but I just dont. I guess I will just have to keep driving it a few days till the condition occurs again. I would have thought it would be constant from the sound.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Maybe the new unit is faulty...in a different way??
Forgive me brother, but what was the symptoms before the ecu swap??
Might be time to go over the entire wire harness with a fine tooth comb.. not sure if I fixed my rig entirely "no money to get tags on it yet" but I found two wires that had dry rotted and were touching the intake manifold ... one happened to goto the ICM ..

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking that maybe this EEC was was messed up too but in a different way. Definitely possible for sure. Im gonna pull codes this morning and see if there are any now that its light, though very dimly. I have looked over the wires, just not as closely as I should, so thats still on the list of things to try.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
what a pain..will be interesting to see what codes it's throwing..besides shifting like crap, what other symptoms do you have?

oh and I thought you had a rebuilt tranny...is that already giving you trouble?

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea the torque converter went tits up on me and I think it may have taken the tranny with it. I will know more after the mechanic looks at it this morning.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the verdict is in, and its bad. Converter ate itself, spewed metal into the trans, took it out. There were bearings in the pan and lots of sharp metal pieces.

:( So its a bad day at my house.

Looks like a $3400 job to fix everything. Oh Joy. That includes pulling the motor and resealing it, hot tanking and blasting the intake, replace oil pan gasket, oil pump, intake gasket, valve gasket, clean and paint engine, install headers.

Oh well, nothing I can do but fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea, its an E4od not an AOD. Just ordered a new Monster Transmission E4OD SS mega Monster and billet torque converter. Came out to just under 2k since its on sale. Hopefully it will be ready to pick up friday and it will be in by monday afternoon.

I will be glad to be over the transmission drama.

Edit: Transmission wont be ready for at least 3 weeks. :( so I will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well now I know FOR SURE!

The old EEC was definitely bad.

You can see some rust on the case.

Inside the case it was carnage.

Burnt IC

Burnt capacitor

I am totally amazed it worked at all. No wonder I was having so many strange issues. I am just thankful I had the smart idea of looking at the EEC in the 94 junkyard bronco and then went to the trouble of getting it out. I will never pass up another one if I find one.

I just wish I had discovered this before it starved my new transmission of fluid and killed it. I suppose thats another lesson to stow away for future reference.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Inside of the EEC compartment was really corroded. I really dont have any way to get to it without dis-assembling the whole truck, so it will just have to wait till the body comes off one of these days. Im going to try and get a brush down in there to at least get some of the loose stuff off, but thats about all I can do.

I am going to make sure that the rubber grommet that goes around the EEC is sealed. I hate to use RTV on it, but I think that may be my only option. It obviously doesnt seal all that great on its own. I dont want to make a big ole mess trying to gobb dielectric grease down in there, but that may also be an option.

If anyone has a better idea speak up!

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got a good picture of the rusted EEC compartment. It looks worse than I thought. Looks like if the dash was out, I could remove it and blast it. But I aint taking that dash out again unless something is broken in there.

So I was thinking, I could run a bead of RTV on the EEC gasket outer edge, then use Dielectric grease around the base of the EEC connector where it contacts the gasket. Hopefully that will be enough to keep the water out. I think this may actually be one of my mysterious water leaks I have been chasing.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is just not turning out to be a good day for me at all.

I was flipping thru some old pictures I had and ran across a picture of the back up EEC I have. I took the cover off to inspect the J3 port. I didnt even look at the board I suppose, But its burnt the same exact places as my old EEC, just not as bad.

SHIT TURD!

Now I have to find another one.

This might explain the trouble I was having this morning with it. It just died on me driving down the road and wouldnt start. After letting it cool for a few mins, it cranked up and got me home.

So now I have to get one from Flea Bay, because I cant wait, I have to get it and have it overnighted. Slams head into wall over and over and over.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I found a good one on Ebay for under $100. They even sent me pictures of the board so I can see its not burnt. Should be here in a day or so. dead till then.

It looks like a good one. Hope it lasts.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,429 Posts
It's pretty strange that the boards were burnt in the exact same places.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.