Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have an 89 with a 6 cyl. and a four speed manual trans. I just bought a 91 2wheel drive automatic with a 302. I want to know what I will need from the truck to put the 302 in the 6cyl place and still useing the 4 speed manual? I was told that the 302 and 300 have the same bellhouseing pattern. I hope that is correct. I figure i've got to buy a flywheel and clutch set for it. What else am I going to need to get it done? I know the computer and engine harness. The engine harness does seperate from the rest of the truck doesn't it? Will I need to change the gauge cluster because of the Tach? Anything else if I forgot or missed something thanks

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd keep the 6. But it's yer truck.:popc1:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bell housing is the same between the two. You'll need the engine mounts and all of the associated hardware because the V8's are different from the 6. I'm not sure but I think the radiator might have the upper and lower hoses on the opposite sides but that may just be big blocks. obviously you will need the computer and all associated engine wiring.

Final thought, the power difference between a stock 302 and the 300 is almost nil. The 300 is a much more reliable and long lasting engine and in my opinion FAR superior to the 302. I've owned two of them with a combined over 400,000 miles between them. Neither of my trucks have left me stranded due to an engine failure. It's one of the only engines I will ever trust to take me into the backcountry in Colorado and Utah.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No theres nothing wrong with the 6 it runs great has about 140,xxx on the clock. What makes the 6 so much better? This one is the first one I have ever owned. I maybe wrong but I like the instant power the 302 has they are just what I'm used to. I was also thinking about useing a 302 H.O. from a 88 mustang just maybe swapping intakes between them but I think I might have to find a 351 computer then since the H.O. has a 351 firing order. Anyone done this or know anything about it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would keep the 300 6 there awesome they keep going an going with proper care :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just cant see towing with it. The 6 seems to be a slower motor. I know they are supposed to be bullet proof. What can I do to wake up the motor and make it a little more fun then?

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
look at the numbers. the 302 doesnt have much more torque than the 300.

i have a 302 but im a huge fan of the 300's. i plan on buying 3 more broncos. a 78, another 89 302 for parts, and an early-mid 80's with a carbed 300

1 - 9 of 9 Posts