Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haha so ive added another thing to my "hunny do" list for me to complete in the next 7 days. everyone thinks my TC is bad on my 86 BKO so in tlaking to my husband we decided why not just swap it since we have to pull it out anyways. *i know im kicking myself in the ass as we speak* so this is what i need to know .... :*

*are the drive shafts lengths different?
*what 5sp was in the 86 broncos? or another one that would fit?
*what extraneous parts would i need?

im sure there is alot of this stuff through search but im fighting time. *sorry ya'll*

thanks for the help

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never done the swap, so by no means am I a reliable source. But, different length transmissions will need different drive shafts. Probably a different or modified crossmember. A pedal assembly. Clutch assembly. I guess in your timeframe you would need a good donor bronco. I'm sure there's plenty more.... good luck though wifey.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Search ZF swap parts list and it will all be there for you.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
you might find a donor parts truch as that might be the easiset way to go. you need the pedal assembly and linkage or hydrolic setup. tranny mount, transfer case adapter, drive shafts flywheel and clutch assembly. it can be done but it may cost alot more than fixen the auto and adding a second cooler to it....mike

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Just in case you hadn't thought of it, it will probably cost you more to switch over to a manual then to just replace the TC(if that's what's wrong) and it will definitely take longer.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If you want to go manual and you want to do it fast -- consider a four speed (NP435 preferably, or T-18) instead of the five speed. You'll get the transmission for half the cost, it's just as strong, and if you're going up to bigger tires you'll still get a decent highway cruise RPM in top gear without having to regear. More importantly, you can usually just about trip over NP435's anywhere, but the ZF (the only five speed you should really consider) is much harder to find in a four wheel drive version.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
if your short on time, keep the tranny you have. or if its shot, swap it for the same one thats already in it.
unless you really run into a increadable deal on a parts truck, you will probably spend a good bit more money, and certainly more time trying to swap the trans.
not trying to be negative, its just that it would really be a struggle to do that swap cheap and fast.

what auto trans is in it now? aod or c-6?

·
Registered
44 Posts
i wasnt able to find the other trhread, what was found out?. were you able to put the reaerend up on stands and then retry to put it in gear? dont discount taking the truck to a maaco trans shop and have them diagnose it. they should be able to tell you for sure. diagnostics could be as little as 80 to as much as 200. get a quote for the diagnostic.. im betting on a faulty t/c solenoid in the trans. i'll try to find a schematic and post it i have the ford service manual for this truck 86? right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
dont dismiss the use of a wrecking yard trans. also most wrecking yards will get you another trans if the first one they gave you doesnt work properly.

·
The Doc
1,157 Posts
heres the tranny crossmenber i built for my 5 spd swap ill sell it to you with all the tranny swap parts for 7500 and the rest of the truck comes with it :)

hey you also asked about some good places to go mudding around frot drum here is my old ranger out at the carthage pwoerlines always a good place to go

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
You like the black with greens flames huh, Dirty. :toothless

Don't tell me that you replaced that Bronco with that Jeep.

(j/k I'm considering a Rubi myslef. The Bronco isn't going anywhere though. )

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well damn you guys i have been so wrapped up in the bronco the past few days i havent even read all this stuff till now. i was able to get hooked up really well. we did not swap out the tranny or anything yet but that will happen as soon as i get up to drum again :) as well as alot of other mods. she is up and running and moving now. *for the time being* dont know how long that will last but we will see. i am going tommorow and buying an optima battary because she needs alotof power and one of the issues was neither of the batteries (the one that came with *an optima or the one i just bought) produce enough power. so now im just on the hunt for tires. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts