Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for my truck and not my Bronco, but maybe there will end up being pertinent info for others doing something similar to their Bronco.

I had a question and wanted to get an opinion or two. I'm going to swap out the 302 in my 77 F100 and put in a 5.0 out of a '96 Explorer (hopefully). I'll put a carb intake on it and essentially keep everything the same in my truck, basically a long block swap.

My question being, is there anything that I should absolutely do while this 5.0 is on the stand before it goes into my truck?

I'm trying to keep this as low dollar as possible as I don't see this being the endgame engine for this truck, but more of a simple, cheap option since it needs an upgrade and I won't have the funds to do something big like I had planned before.

Ideally, I'll be cleaning it up as much as I can and then just put whatever cheap 4bbl intake I can find on it and reuse the accessories and exhaust manifolds off the old 302. If anyone has a compelling argument for spending some extra on something (head gaskets, valve job, whatever), I'd be willing to listen.

Otherwise, I'll be sticking a basically untouched 26 year old long block in to replace a 45 year old long block in order to essentially double my power. The smog-era was not good to this truck, unfortunately. I'm not sure how long this 5.0 will stay in the truck, which is why I may consider doing a little extra to it if it's deemed a very good idea, cost effective, and the engine ends up staying in for a long period of time.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,460 Posts
Are you going to use the water pump etc. from the Exploder or stuff from the pick up? All that shorty serpentine belt front end dress is desirable to early bronco guys if you're swapping it out.

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the pickup. I'm not really interested it changing the accessories. My current stuff works and I know their condition, so I'll just leave them alone.

I'm also not sure if the yard I'll potentially be getting this 5.0 from will leave the accessories on, but they might. It's not exactly a pick and pull, they'd be pulling the engine as they don't allow customers to do so.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably a good idea there. I'll have to see what pan and pump the Explorer comes with. My truck is 2wd and has a front sump pan since the steering linkage goes under the rear of it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If your truck is a manual transmission, the newer engine may have a different clutch bell crank mount location than the early V-8's.
I can't remember if it was different location or if the original bolt hole is there but un-threaded.
The newer engines would likely have been set up for hydraulic clutches.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Felpro gaskets and seals. New water pump and HD t-stat. Change out the gear on your distributor to roller. Might consider putting a new pump seal in your c6.

96-97 Explorer/mountaineer are GT40.

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your truck is a manual transmission, the newer engine may have a different clutch bell crank mount location than the early V-8's.
I can't remember if it was different location or if the original bolt hole is there but un-threaded.
The newer engines would likely have been set up for hydraulic clutches.
It has an automatic, but I know what you're talking about with the pivot stud for the mechanical clutch linkage. I got a little versed in that when I had the 351M in my Bronco swapped out for a 460 and I kept the original 4-speed. The 351M had a bracket that bolted onto the back of the block that had the stud in it and the sbf/L6 have the stud thread right into the block.

They probably didn't bother threading that hole or cast it, like you said, when they went to a hydraulic clutch on the later sbf's. Kind of like the newer sbf's not having the hole for the mechanical fuel pump since they have EFI, which is something I'm going to have to deal with one way or the other. Lotta stuff I forgot about. lol

Felpro gaskets and seals. New water pump and HD t-stat. Change out the gear on your distributor to roller. Might consider putting a new pump seal in your c6.

96-97 Explorer/mountaineer are GT40.

Definitely will be swapping distributor gears, so that's a good reminder there. Your other recommendations are good too. I have a C4 behind this 302, but the tranny is a whole other deal altogether. It may get rebuilt or replaced as it's more suspect than my 302. My 302 is just really weak and inefficient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts