Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a f250 with a 460 and an e40d tranny that I had completely rebuilt about a year ago. The problem is the truck drinks gas like 6 mpg. I have had an 81 and 94 bronco and loved them. If I bought another bronco with a 351 and e40d how hard would the swap be?

Thanks

Steve

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I've never actually done it myself, but I would imagine as long as you swapped the mounts along with the motor and tranny that you should be ok. and if you would also have to get another computer. I don't know if you can swap a computer from a bronco to an f250. you can always try.

EDIT: I just reread your thread. The title says you are swapping trannys yet the write up sounds like you are swapping the motor as well. If you are keeping the motor than no you can't swap trannies from a small block to a big block or visa versa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I was not planning to swap engines at all just transmissions I thought I just needed a different bell housing.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well shows what I know thank you guys for the help and I am going to check out gear vendors too. If there was a way I could increase my mileage on my pickup I would just keep it.

Again thank you guys for all the help.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
califordguy said:
Well shows what I know thank you guys for the help and I am going to check out gear vendors too. If there was a way I could increase my mileage on my pickup I would just keep it.

Again thank you guys for all the help.
coast downhill when ever possible. :toothless
You know I'm kidding, but when I was 17 I didn't get much of an allowance and I cant tell you how many times I would put the car in neutral and coast when ever possible. My 67 cougar was on fumes most of it's life while I owned it.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Do you have a heavy foot when you drive?
I would think it would help, but I don't think it would be worth the effort. I think you would be better off giving it a tune up or tweeking it here and there to improve mialage.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I would give it an uneducated guess and say that you'ld be better off taking the weights off your foot and keep the engine in propper working order. The F250 is a heavy vehicle and I would think the smaller motor would have to work harder to give you the same response you are used to, resulting in the same gas consumption.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What year is your F250? My '88 460 with fuel injection and stick shift typically gets 9 mpg. 6 seems pretty low.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You need to figure out what's wrong with your current setup if you're getting 6mpg with that combo! I swiped a family member's 460/E4OD four wheel drive crew cab this morning, and it's regularly gotten around 13-14mpg for her. Heck, it gets 12mpg most of the time even with me driving! :toothless

That mileage has been tracked for about 20k miles, by the way, so not a single fluke tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would kill for 12 mpg. I dont think I got a heavy foot I have had bronco for years and learned to drive with a lighter foot. As far as setup its a 96 f250 CrewCab 4X4 with a 460 EFI E4OD (transmission was rebuilt a year ago) 33X12.5 R16.5 as fas a fluke gas tanks I am not sure what you mean my front tank doesnt work right if that is what you are asking the gas gauge doesn't work. So for now I just run off the back tank which gets me about 112 miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
What gears? If you don't know offhand, look under the rear end at the axle cover, and you should see a tag bolted on somewhere around ten o'clock. The top left on the tag you should have your ratio, something like 3L55 or 3 55, 3L73, you get the idea.

Also, do you do most of your driving in town or on the highway? If you spend a lot of time in traffic that may be part of the difference we're seeing, since she does a fair amount of highway driving. The only other difference I see are the 33's, she's still running the stock 31's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts