Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 FSB 5.8 EFI E4OD Punisher VB 6" BDS Stage II w/DSS 33" MT 4.10 Detroit TT Locker KN TBS JET Chip
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me in simple grade school level, what is the purpose or how these sway bar disconnects work? What is it's purpose in place of a sway bar. I'm assuming it would be up front? Speaking for 93 XLT 5.8. Thank you.

DM

Font Line Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

·
Moderator and Scrounger Extraordinaire
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
19,411 Posts
Can anyone tell me in simple grade school level, what is the purpose or how these sway bar disconnects work? What is it's purpose in place of a sway bar. I'm assuming it would be up front? Speaking for 93 XLT 5.8. Thank you.

DM

View attachment 204690
A sway bar disconnect is for detatching the sway bars from the frame for offroad flexibility. Then being able to reconnect them for the drive home.

Not sure what that specific product is though.

·
Registered
93 FSB 5.8 EFI E4OD Punisher VB 6" BDS Stage II w/DSS 33" MT 4.10 Detroit TT Locker KN TBS JET Chip
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A sway bar disconnect is for detatching the sway bars from the frame for offroad flexibility. Then being able to reconnect them for the drive home.

Not sure what that specific product is though.
Thanks Blue! I was looking on the BDS Suspension website and came across them. I guess I can look at them as a kit for on/off road. I'm kind of on the stiff side when I wheel and was told about my front sway bar preventing that flexibility, even with the TTB. But I do long stretches on the highway as well. Here's the link:

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
19,411 Posts
Thanks Blue! I was looking on the BDS Suspension website and came across them. I guess I can look at them as a kit for on/off road. I'm kind of on the stiff side when I wheel and was told about my front sway bar preventing that flexibility, even with the TTB. But I do long stretches on the highway as well. Here's the link:

Ah i see, that offering is just drop brackets for the front sway bar. The section is titled sway bar links and disconnects... But they dont offer disconnects for our trucks.

FWIW i drive without any swaybars. Im on a 6" lift with 37s. It takes a bit of getting used to but i have no issues, even at 80 mph.

Yes, sway bars limit your suspension flex. A sway bar is essentially a torsion spring, which keeps the body level with the suspension. Great for higher speed maneuvers, but terrible on the trails.

·
19,411 Posts
As @BigBlue 94 said they are just Extended front Sway bar links. Here is a link to Quick disconnect links for the front: swaybar disconnect
They arent even links on the front. They just use a piece of c-channel as a drop bracket. The rear does use links like pictured.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They arent even links on the front. They just use a piece of c-channel as a drop bracket. The rear does use links like pictured.
I'm soaking this up thanks gents.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
19,411 Posts
I'm soaking this up thanks gents.
If you look in your pic in the first post, the silver links laying sideways are similar to what the rear uses to connect the bar to the frame. The eyelet goes up on the frame and the threaded end goes through the bar and is fastened with a bushing and nut.

Disconnects are usually a pin or lockout type mechanism that physically disconnects the sway bar from the frame.

The way the TTB works, is backwards and it needs disconnected from the axle end. If left on the axle and disconnected from the frame, the scissor motion of the TTB will still be limited. Not as much as fully connected but still limiting.

·
Super Moderator
33,240 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you look in your pic in the first post, the silver links laying sideways are similar to what the rear uses to connect the bar to the frame. The eyelet goes up on the frame and the threaded end goes through the bar and is fastened with a bushing and nut.

Disconnects are usually a pin or lockout type mechanism that physically disconnects the sway bar from the frame.

The way the TTB works, is backwards and it needs disconnected from the axle end. If left on the axle and disconnected from the frame, the scissor motion of the TTB will still be limited. Not as much as fully connected but still limiting.
I appreciate that explanation and it makes a lot more sense now.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 MAF A/T 4x4 2.5" Lift
423 Posts
Ah i see, that offering is just drop brackets for the front sway bar. The section is titled sway bar links and disconnects... But they dont offer disconnects for our trucks.

FWIW i drive without any swaybars. Im on a 6" lift with 37s. It takes a bit of getting used to but i have no issues, even at 80 mph.

Yes, sway bars limit your suspension flex. A sway bar is essentially a torsion spring, which keeps the body level with the suspension. Great for higher speed maneuvers, but terrible on the trails.

Have you towed without the front sway bar? If so, was it manageable?

·
19,411 Posts
Have you towed without the front sway bar? If so, was it manageable?
No i have not. I have a pickup to tow with.

When i say i have no issues with no sway bars, i mean I have no issues. It does not handle like a normal vehicle, but i have driven mostly TTB vehicles for the entirety of my driving experience. Im used to constantly adjusting the steering and paying attention on turns. Im used to steering into the wind, and compensating for body lean.

·
Registered
87XLT 5.0 C6
272 Posts
Im used to constantly adjusting the steering and paying attention on turns. Im used to steering into the wind, and compensating for body lean.
A lifetime ago I had a 74 CJ5. There was no cruising in that thing, you had to drive it every inch of the way. Also, it didn't have much self centering tendency, if you let go of the wheel in a turn it would just keep turning. I think my wife put it over a curb every time she drove it.

I got rid of it in '84, I think. Replaced it with a '69 F100 and a '79 VW rabbit diesel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts