Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting ready to put 33s and 3in body lift on my 81 bronc. i see a lot of threads about removing the sway bar. is that a very challenging job for a wanna be mechanic? any help would be appreciated.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
I believe there is about 6-10 bolts. Not hard to do. Un bolt it from the frame then unbolt it from where they hook just below the coil spring.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
6 bolts. Spray them WELL with WD-40 or PBlaster for a couple days before you want to remove it and things will be MUCH easier for you.

With stuck bolts: ~30-40 min including cursing time
With not stuck bolts: ~10 min including a beer congratulating a job well done.

Edit: Oh yeah, and don't remove them right before a big road trip, as you may not like the way it handles after removing them. I only took my front off because I don't really care for the feeling of the roll. I figure if I pull the rear it will only be worse. If you drive easy it's no big deal, but if you drive like an F1 racer (me) you quickly become dissatisfied with the delay in response (about half an hour) in maneuvers.

The handling is still solid, just very delayed response. IE: Everything stays on the ground and you can continue maneuvers, but you'll feel the reaction from your first maneuver *while* you're performing the second maneuver. This can be very confusing if you're not used to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sway bar

i figured on doing both. im sure something will make me "mad" so i'll have a beer and think about it. this is really stupid. i need to make sure i know where this sway bar is can you let the idiot know.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
The front attaches to a bracket right below the coil and it goes up to the frame on the front side of the axle across to the other frame then back down to right below the other coil spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts