Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i removed the sway bar links and drove around town as some have stated. i go to turn and the bronco would lean and sway enough to feel uncomphortable. so i wanted to have something that allowed me to gain space so i can do a knuckle under and remove the swapbar for off road. i look at many different setups and was ready to cut and weld then i found the ford explorer in the junk yard. it links were longer and easy to get. so i removed them and took them home. i found the links as they sat gave enough room for the knuckle under and the removable hitch pins made it a bolt on setup and i got to remove the 4" drop mount for the sway bar to gain more clearence.

Here she is as i started.

Here are the dog bones. i founf the explorer had two different ones avalable a 4" and a 6" so i took both and found the 6" was what i needed.

all i had to do was chase the bottom bushing with a 1/2" drill bit and install like stock. here is the pass side.
here is the driver side.

i removed the 4" swaybar drop mount and moved the mount a few inches forward. more clearence and fast disconnect.
i found with this change i freed up a bind i had in the front end and it went up 2" and now sits level with the rear end. the ride is real good it seems to flex better than before and going around corners it sits flat and no lean. i can pull the hair clip and hitch pin then have no swaybar in 5 min and reinstall all in 5 min.
total cost was under $10 (bolts and links).
mike

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Cool! I wanna do some kind of home brew quick discos for my Heep, gotta wait for warmer weather, this will involve welding so I can custom fabricate. :)

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
That looks like a good idea, sway bar drop brackets just look terrible and weak

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
nice score

·
Registered
940 Posts
what do you mean chase the bottom bushing? did you just enlarge it to 1/2"? is the metal center of the bushing still there? i have been thinkin of doing this with threaded rod and heims. this looks cheaper and easier... i only have 2" lift , but i like the disconnect-ability. those twisted stock links stink.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
question 1-----no rattle it even seems to work better now and i put a dab of silicone grease so i give it a week or two more of daily driving to see if any new sounds show up. so far no sounds.

question 2 i did not want any slop in the bottom bushing (so no rattles as asked above) and the closes hitch pin was 1/2 but this was real tight, so i used the drill press and drilled out the botton steel sleave to allow the hitch pin to slide thru. it did not take very much off if any at all--i think it just made the hole round again. there was very little to no shavings on the bech after drilling the bottom steel sleave....mike

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm giving the return of my swaybars some thought as well. Like this simple and cheap mod.

I'm wondering what the effects would be of just running the front swaybar and not the rear, or are both really still the way to go for the best high highway speeds. Thats actually my main interest. Not really driving around town so far, but the high speed curvy mountain runs with big drop offs off each side of the highway. Plus I'm anticipating towing in these same higher speed highway situations.

Cool info....

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mine was missing the rear sway when i got it. i driven this up towards tahoe and on some windy roads and no issue. it does not lean over too much and handles real well. i thought about installing a rear but so fer (1 year driving it as a daily driver) i have no plans it install one..............mike

·
Registered
694 Posts
collinsperformance said:
mine was missing the rear sway when i got it. i driven this up towards tahoe and on some windy roads and no issue. it does not lean over too much and handles real well. i thought about installing a rear but so fer (1 year driving it as a daily driver) i have no plans it install one..............mike
So,........in your opinion............front only is the way to go?Or????

Le me refrase that. So, you wish you had the rear but?

I still have the front and rear around here somewhere? Just incase.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i do not feel mine needs a rear sway bay. i driven down some twisty roads and it does not sway much. my mini van sways more and it has both sway bars in place. i got a 6" lift so my springs maybe different than yours so i am not sure how stock springs would be but install the front and drive it and see how bad the body rolls. if it does not then ignore the rear if it does add the rear if you got it. i will not be looking for one to install on mine.....mike

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i do not feel mine needs a rear sway bay. i driven down some twisty roads and it does not sway much. my mini van sways more and it has both sway bars in place. i got a 6" lift so my springs maybe different than yours so i am not sure how stock springs would be but install the front and drive it and see how bad the body rolls. if it does not then ignore the rear if it does add the rear if you got it. i will not be looking for one to install on mine.....mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
so you did this in the front on a stock suspension or is it lifted?(you said it leveled front and rear) i guess i could go back and look but i will let you answer it and what year was the exploer

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this can be done to a stock or lifted bronco. mine is lifted and the lift exceeded the 4" drops the the swaybar binded the lift until i did this mod. the explorer was a 96 but they look the same thru the years . some had a 4" link and others had a 6" link. i thought it was motor but i found them mixed thru the years and i took these off a front swaybar.....mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello... Remember that its a little bit tricky to find a solution to have an easy disconnect the front sway bar, because the shape of the bar let´s us in trouble, but with this mod you´ll get easy straight links of the bar with the axle, just like it is on the rear, so its easy too to mod the rear links. I´ll do it on mine´s & I´ll take some pics too. Hoping it will be easy to find the explorer 6" bones here. If not, modifying the rear sway bar first will be a start.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts