Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laziness really has it's own special reward.

I was trying to get a lot done in a short amount of time, and while I was out I swung by Jiffy Lube for an oil change.

Never again.

After leaving that jackoff place I stopped by walmart to get a new battery, since the one in my truck was shot.

When I came out with my new battery, I see a pool of oil under my beloved Bronco. Not good.

I slide under and the damn oil plug is halfway out!

I suppose i'm lucky I didn't lose it on the road. At least wally world was not far from where my truck was mishandled.

So I put the new battery in and go back inside for oil.

Of course, truck is full of tools so I was able to deal with it all right there.

I spent some time bitching to the security guard about Jiffy lube, so it was no problem to refill the truck in the lot, and I didn't get any flak for the 5ish quarts of oil under my truck.

And hey, what do you know...the oil plug is actually tight now.

For as easy as it is to change the oil on something with ground clearance like a Bronco, it's really just laziness to not do it yourself. I was just hours from my home, and figured i'd get it done while I was in transit.

Never again will someone do work on my truck I am capable of.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate you putting that video up - I had no idea it was that prevalent.

I am in kind of a bubble, I guess.

When I need a major repair (something that needs a lift, or work I can't do myself) I take it to my mechanic.

My mechanic is a local shop. Guy who runs the place went to school with my dad when they were kids, good family friend. All his guys are great people. and the shop is definitely on the up and up.

They prefer to use 'used' parts, but it's not anything sneaky, they let you know and if you want a factory new part, that's fine, it just costs more. Either way, it's your decision.

I trust my mechanic, but it's a different situation then just going to some random shop.

I'll be damned if someone I don't know puts their grimy mitts on my shit again.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Well if the OP was already did it at walmart anyway, changed his oil and replaced his battery...... so saved him a few bucks after he spent a few more?????? I don't know the price list but I would have kept driving the motor blows up have it towed to jiffy lube and have them replace it.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Maybe the lazyness was in not doing it yourself.:toothless

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Last month I was lazy myself. I went to a mobil oil change place and had a drip if oil coming from my drain plug afterwards. normaly I would of done it myself but that day was hot as hell and I didnt feel like working outside. not ever gonna do that again unless I am several miles away from home and on a vacation or something where i dont have access to my tools.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I appreciate you putting that video up - I had no idea it was that prevalent.

It's all over the place.. It's hard for me to trust anyone to work on my vehicles..

I was working a "Scher" tire He has multiple stores under the "Goodyear" name.. I would recomend services and they would give the ticket to their "lead" tech. Well I found out why he was so "fast" He would just spray paint the parts so they looked new and then send them on their way..

I quit the same week I found out he was doing that.

·
THE GHETTO VAQUERO
2,450 Posts
Yeah Wal-Mart isn't the best place for an oil change either. When I used to work for Checker Auto Parts I would get customers coming in for new drain plugs because wal-mart guys stripped the old one out. I even had a guy that had no oil in his car after going there. I went there once for an oil change, when they opened my hood the said my battery had exploded on them. I saw no sign of this, but my battery had already been disposed of while I was shopping. Then they wouldn't warranty my battery when the thing went bad. I wont trust their automotive dept again. I can do basic service myself, and for the stuff I can't do i have a few mechanics that will come by and help out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Probably could have had the oil changed at WalMart while you were buying that battery.
And gotten the battery replaced as well.
I have never seen a Wal-mart with an automotive center. None of the ones around me have it.

They have a section of the store that has automotive parts, but there are no technicians or anything.

The first time I ever heard about Wal-mart offering such a service was on a thread here at FSB where someone was talking about them changing the terms of their service contract. I was pretty surprised they did stuff like that.

(I keep expecting to find a new wal-mart with a water park or something in it now)

Maybe the lazyness was in not doing it yourself.:toothless
This was exactly what I meant.

I figured i'd just get it done while I was out, and there is no where I can just pull over and do it myself. I didn't want to wait until I got home, so I figured i'd pay someone else to do it.

Did you go back to Jiffy Lube and get your money back?
If I went back to that jiffy lube the way I was feeling yesterday, I would have probably lost the right to own firearms. I like my guns.

Sometimes the best way to hold your temper is not to put yourself in a situation where you would lose it.

I honestly have not been that angry in almost 4 years.

They were closed, so I wouldn't have been able to catch a real person, but you bet your damn skippy I woulda drove my truck right through their flimsy ass garage door and vented my rage on their shop.

I am a pretty level headed person, but that was just pure rage. I'm glad i'm the kind of person with the strength to resist childish urges like that.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Well, they(Jiffy Lube) put my drain plug back but kinda forgot the oil. I paid while they were just finishing up, the "technician" pulled it out and was waiting by it till I walked out, as soon as I heard it running I new what they did or didn't do. I turned it off then started it, then reved the crap out of it, that was that. Since I didn't drive it an inch there was no way they could deny it. FIRST and LAST time anyone has changed my earl. And this was a 95 Corvette.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Ya most of the Wal Marts around here have automotive service. I haven't had a problem with them, thats not to say some haven't, but my experiences with them have been fine. I do always check my to make sure my oil pressure is fine before I drive off.

Its perfect for somebody like me who is very busy and rarely without my children with me. I just pull in, do my shopping then check out at the automotive area and leave.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Well, they(Jiffy Lube) put my drain plug back but kinda forgot the oil. I paid while they were just finishing up, the "technician" pulled it out and was waiting by it till I walked out, as soon as I heard it running I new what they did or didn't do. I turned it off then started it, then reved the crap out of it, that was that. Since I didn't drive it an inch there was no way they could deny it. FIRST and LAST time anyone has changed my earl. And this was a 95 Corvette.
and they had a new engine installed by a GOOD mechanic?

i always pay attention to my gauges, shit like that wont get past me, ive had my truck so low on oil it wasnt on the dipstick but it still had oil pressure, if that pressure gauge isnt registering somethings up.

personally my dad uses this autobuffs place, ive only seen this one place. he likes it there cause they dont hassle you or give you bullshit. when i was driving his car i took it in for an oil change, the guy asked me if i wanted an engine flush since it was at the high milage mark (70,000) and i told him no. he said ok and went on with the work. i liked that part, he didnt try to sell me a tranny flush or anything either. now im not positive the oil change was doen properly but my dad trusts em and its his car. personally my truck has never been to an oil change shop. for multiple reasons. one is that it has an oil leak and i know theyll try to sell me a repair which will be ridiculous. another is that by doing it myself i get high milage engine oil and a brand name filter rather than generics.

for auto work theres a place up on 17 called emmets. its one of those shops where its just that shop, no others. he likes it there cause the prices are fair and they dont give him bullshit. when i ****ed up his cars alignment and water pump he took it there to get it fixed. they must do good work cause its always jammed. i went there to ask about an alignment, guy said 50-60 unless it needs something to fix the camber. i even showed him the bushings i just put in the front cause i was worried they werent in right or something. now he could have said they werent in right and gotten another 100-200$ out of me right there but he said theyre fine and theres nothing to worry about. i havent gotten that alignment yet but once i get the rear bushings talken care of i will be taking it back.

id like to see one of these places get away with that crap while im watching, as soon as i see something wrong thered be hell. i dont take kindly to people taking advantage of me cause they think im stupid, im not your run of the mill idiot.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Anything named after a corn muffin mix needs to be avoided.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I used to change oil, repair tires, balance tires, installed tires, pumped gas for the full service station, and any small job the mechanic wanted me to do when he realized I was capable of doing a lot of the work. This was one of the job I had while in college.

Never did we cheated a customer out of a oil change. We even used what they provided and charged a lower price for the service.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
and they had a new engine installed by a GOOD mechanic?

i always pay attention to my gauges, shit like that wont get past me, ive had my truck so low on oil it wasnt on the dipstick but it still had oil pressure, if that pressure gauge isnt registering somethings up.

personally my dad uses this autobuffs place, ive only seen this one place. he likes it there cause they dont hassle you or give you bullshit. when i was driving his car i took it in for an oil change, the guy asked me if i wanted an engine flush since it was at the high milage mark (70,000) and i told him no. he said ok and went on with the work. i liked that part, he didnt try to sell me a tranny flush or anything either. now im not positive the oil change was doen properly but my dad trusts em and its his car. personally my truck has never been to an oil change shop. for multiple reasons. one is that it has an oil leak and i know theyll try to sell me a repair which will be ridiculous. another is that by doing it myself i get high milage engine oil and a brand name filter rather than generics.

for auto work theres a place up on 17 called emmets. its one of those shops where its just that shop, no others. he likes it there cause the prices are fair and they dont give him bullshit. when i ****ed up his cars alignment and water pump he took it there to get it fixed. they must do good work cause its always jammed. i went there to ask about an alignment, guy said 50-60 unless it needs something to fix the camber. i even showed him the bushings i just put in the front cause i was worried they werent in right or something. now he could have said they werent in right and gotten another 100-200$ out of me right there but he said theyre fine and theres nothing to worry about. i havent gotten that alignment yet but once i get the rear bushings talken care of i will be taking it back.

id like to see one of these places get away with that crap while im watching, as soon as i see something wrong thered be hell. i dont take kindly to people taking advantage of me cause they think im stupid, im not your run of the mill idiot.
Yup, they paid for a new engine and the mechanic of my choice to install it, of course I chose the dealer. I knew what was wrong before I even got in the car, I reved the crap out of it to finish it off. Like you said, it don't take much oil to get a good pressure reading.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts