Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swing Away Tire Carrier (please take a look)

First off, thank you for taking the time to read/consider my posting. Here is my quandary:

I have a 1996 Bronco, and I recently acquired a swing away spare tire carrier off of a 1987 Bronco. Mine is an XL model and therefore came w/the inside carrier and no reinforcement in the rear quarter panel for mounting the swing-away carrier. I would really like to mount this/or the appropriate carrier to the outside and I'm wondering if anyone else has confronted this problem. I scavenged everything off of the 87' model, including the inner bracket that supports the tailgate piece. What I did not get was the support inside the rear quarter panel. I guess my questions are:

Will this mount work on my 96, and how can I locate a reinforcement plate or strengthen the inner rear quarter to mount the carrier?

Many thanks guys...I sure do appreciate your time!

·
Banned
10,964 Posts
Yes, it can be done. Find any '80-96 Bronco in the junkyard with the holes for the swingaway & drill out the 2 spot welds that hold the bracket inside the quarter panel. Bring a piece of paper to trace a template onto so you can drill holes in yours for the bolts.

·
Registered
858 Posts
big mikes bumpers are sweeeeet i got one but i did not get the tire carrier that attaches to the bumper but might be worth the look????????

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ended up using grade 8 bolts and big washers. Drill the holes and mount the spare carrier. I currently have a 36x14.50 15 sitting on mine and have absolutely no sag in the quarter panel or widening of the holes from the weight.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
You could build the reinforcement plates from some flat stock and either drill and tap holes in it for the bolts in the hinge bracket or bolt and washer like previously said. You need something there to keep from ripping thru the skin.
The factory internal section of the mount isn't very thick, but it is roled on the edges to give it more strength. There is also a reinforcement bracket inside the tailgate that bolts to the window regulator. Pay for the shipping and you can have tailgate bracket I have in the garage.

Good luck,

:thumbup

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks guys for the info! Luckily I took everything I needed off of the donor vehicle, including the tailgate mount and inner tailgate support. However, I do not have the piece inside the rear quarter panel. I located the tire carrier while visiting my in-laws in GA and simply did not have the time to pull out the quarter panel inner support bracket. My father in-law ran back by to see if he could pull it, but he's just not the persistant type.

If anyone out there happens to have that inner bracket, I would sure be interested. I have considered going the fender washer route, but my preference would be to keep it as close to original as possible. Thanks again everyone, I sure do appreciate your time. Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts