Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using it, how do you like it? Any cons?

I've used my winch only a few times and I find the wire rope a pain, thinking the synthetic might be better from what Ive read thus far. Thinking I might go with 75 feet on the winch instead of 100 and carry a couple assorted lengths in the back of the bronco. On all three of my pulls with the winch I found I still had too much on the drum to get max power from my winch.

What say you all? Is there one brand that stands out above the rest?

Thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
Try using your winch for more than 3 times before you make your decision.

If you don't use it that much I would stay cable. It will handle the elements better.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
On all three of my pulls with the winch I found I still had too much on the drum to get max power from my winch.

What say you all?
Shoulda gotten a strongerer winch.:goodfinge

Dave's Bronc 90 and HD78bronco also run synthetic. I'm sure they'll pipe up.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I love it. been using it for over 3 years now.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try using your winch for more than 3 times before you make your decision.

If you don't use it that much I would stay cable. It will handle the elements better.
I know what your saying, but really thats not going to change my opinion. The pulls were hard the cable is kinked, winding it back up is a pain and looks like hell. Taking 25feet off might help with some of this. Last night I had to position my truck 3 different times, thus I had to wind the cable in 3 times. With rope I could have just held on to it, wrapped it around the bumper or something till I get repositioned.

Keep in mind I'm the one doing all this, might have a different perspective if someone else was pulling the cable and hooking it up for me.

Certainly it does the job, but its getting to the point of dreading to use the thing - maybe it should be the last resort?

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
At least half the folks I wheel with regularly have gone synth rope and frankly, I can't wait of get rid of my steel cable. Won a gift cert from winchline.com last year so I'll probably go with theirs first. (I have three different winches that need it...ouch$$)

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Just my .02....when Hurricane Katrina hit, a couple of us got our trucks, winches and chain saws, and became the self appointed "haul them dam trees out of the way" brigade for our neighborhood. I was using artificial winch rope, (expensive too)at the time, it broke under the load broke....my bud hooked up with his warn 8274, just like mine, using steel cable, and hauled that tree right out of the way, NO PROBS......

Needless to say, I switched back.....

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
Just my .02....when Hurricane Katrina hit, a couple of us got our trucks, winches and chain saws, and became the self appointed "haul them dam trees out of the way" brigade for our neighborhood. I was using artificial winch rope, (expensive too)at the time, it broke under the load broke....my bud hooked up with his warn 8274, just like mine, using steel cable, and hauled that tree right out of the way, NO PROBS......

Needless to say, I switched back.....

nothing will last for ever. Rope does not like to be abused.

What size rope did you have and how was it being used when it broke?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
nothing will last for ever. Rope does not like to be abused.

What size rope did you have and how was it being used when it broke?
IIRC 5/16, was making a vertical pull with snatch block to achieve lift, on a big a$$ed oak tree......not sure I abused, but what the hey, I may have...you know how that goes.....:doh0715:

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
you have a snatch block Steve? I'd use that whenever feasible. I'd like the SAFETY of the rope, but I still have my stock cable since I don't use it that much and the rope is $$$$, have way too many other projects ahead in the $$$ line, and rope is as mentioned, kinda easy to damage. At least the cable can take more abuse and is 1/4 the cost to replace.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn, that's weird. That should be giving you a pretty strong pull, even with the cable spooled up.
I was stuck pretty good and it was a sideways pull to get out of this.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you have a snatch block Steve? I'd use that whenever feasible. I'd like the SAFETY of the rope, but I still have my stock cable since I don't use it that much and the rope is $$$$, have way too many other projects ahead in the $$$ line, and rope is as mentioned, kinda easy to damage. At least the cable can take more abuse and is 1/4 the cost to replace.
Not yet, been meaning to pick one up. It'll do 2 things for me - get more cable off of the drum and double the power.

I can get the blue 3/8 synthetic for about 1.57 a foot.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
http://www.milemarker.com/images/SPEC SHEET For H12000.pdf

on the 4th layer that winch only pulls 7000 lbs strong @ 1500 psi of pressure. if your using your stock PS pump, your probably only seeing 1200 psi could be less or a bit more. at the lower pressure I bet your pulling 5500 lbs or less.

compared to a warn 12k @ 12vdc it is pulling 9250 on the 5th layer and 9770 on the 4th layer.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://www.milemarker.com/images/SPEC SHEET For H12000.pdf

on the 4th layer that winch only pulls 7000 lbs strong @ 1500 psi of pressure. if your using your stock PS pump, your probably only seeing 1200 psi could be less or a bit more. at the lower pressure I bet your pulling 5500 lbs or less.

compared to a warn 12k @ 12vdc it is pulling 9250 on the 5th layer and 9770 on the 4th layer.
Running a Saginaw pump, you haven't ready any of my installs???? :shocked Come to think of it....I have no idea what this pump gives for PSI.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts