Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having some issues with speed in my bronco, the 4 speed I can not shift fast, Nor are the gears geared nicely for take off at about 15 mph, Even my 460 putting out lots of ponies has a tough time burning 32's from idle after letting out the clutch. So I am curious as to how much work this swap is, I did some google searching, Didn't find any more then I have been thinking.

I am going to drive my truck on road with the standard for a few months, But seriously considering this swap. I will build the C-6 for the power of my engine while my truck is still on the road.

So far for parts for the swap I got

-Torque converter- 2500 stall.
-C-6(already have)
-Crossmember & mount for transfer case?????
-New rad for tranny cooler lines, I need one anyway, Mine is just starting to leak.
-Neutral safety switch, How does that work??
-Normally a steering colum, But I am going to put in a shift kit so I dont have to worry about colum.
-Vacuum advance for shifting, (Abv.)
-Not sure on kickdown as I will have the shift kit, If that works the same way.

More things I would need for the swap would be nice to know, Kinda sucks because when I built the 460 I put a new 500 dollar clutch in it, But all the standard stuff would be for sale, Also, Let me know if I am an idiot for considering this swap, Thanks in advance :beer

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
cross members are the same
both drivelines will need work, shorten/lenghten
just add in a external trans cooler, no need for another raditor

but, if your having issues taking off with a manual, a C6 will not be any better.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats alot more simple then I thought!

Not so much having issues, Honestly I haven't driven the truck in so long now, Its got a shit load of grunt, But just not that speed you can have and go through with a auto, Or a short shift manual, Unlike this 3 ft long shifter.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
there was a kit for eb's to make it a short shifted trans

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was a kit for eb's to make it a short shifted trans
Ill look into it, See what I can find. I need to get someone who knows some shit about these big blocks to ride in my truck, And drive it, Then see what they think, Slap it on a dyno. Just doesn't seem to put out what I think it should, Im dissapointed for the money I got into it, Figure ill try to auto tranny though. Thanks for your help jopsey

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
what cam did you use, oh and 460's suck. :goodfinge

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xe-262h And I know, These things blow ass. lol

Also I bought a performer rpm air gap intake for it.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
carb?

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my truck, 2nd gear, I can hit 37mph, 3rd gear I go from 37mph to 75 mph which takes about 5 seconds I'd guess, Just seems to damn long, Secondarys are vacuum. 87 octane, Stock spark plugs, This is also on stock intake, MSD Ignition and distributor, I cant even say wtf got done to my heads, Wish I new more about what its got, But no one can seem to come up with a build sheet. 8.5 mm wires, not sure what degree timing is at, Ill check once I get the new intake on, Since there is none on it right now. I just remember the build sheet said it should push 540 tq. and 475 hp. A bit more with intake, You would know better then me how much. I got no idea how that much hp should feel pushing a 5k pound tool shed.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I do not think your anywheres close to 475hp /540ft lbs tq. Maybe 350hp and 450-490tw

·
Registered
528 Posts
For the neutral start switch, there is a connector about the middle of the firewall. On four speeds you will find a connector with a jumper wire. Remove this connector and plug in the one from the C6. That will take care of neutral start and backup lights. Backup lights from the four speed plug in to a different connector on the left inner fender near the firewall.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ill look into it, See what I can find. I need to get someone who knows some shit about these big blocks to ride in my truck, And drive it, Then see what they think, Slap it on a dyno. Just doesn't seem to put out what I think it should, Im dissapointed for the money I got into it, Figure ill try to auto tranny though. Thanks for your help jopsey
Have you asked these questions on 460ford.com? Those guys will definitely be able to sort you out. Very knowledgable.

Off the top of my head, I would look at carb tuning, timing (including the chain) and gear ratio. A C6 will not make you faster.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the neutral start switch, there is a connector about the middle of the firewall. On four speeds you will find a connector with a jumper wire. Remove this connector and plug in the one from the C6. That will take care of neutral start and backup lights. Backup lights from the four speed plug in to a different connector on the left inner fender near the firewall.
Awesome, Thanks.

Have you asked these questions on 460ford.com? Those guys will definitely be able to sort you out. Very knowledgable.

Off the top of my head, I would look at carb tuning, timing (including the chain) and gear ratio. A C6 will not make you faster.
Umm I just signed up on 460ford last night, I have tuned the carb a bit. Timing I gotta piss around with a little bit, But the power I am looking for is out of the hole power, With the higher geared second gear It kinda bogs out if i try and take off quick but not to quick because I dont want broken parts, and first gear is way to low, so I have to switch to second so fast its not funny, I mean taking of in first gear fast it bounced then I hit second racing a s 10 and they just started spinning. I had 32's at the time, A c6 will help alot with out of the hole power. Gas and brake then dump the brake.

I thought you put 38's on your truck or am I thinking of someone else. If so that might be part of your problem.
I did put 38's on it, But I have not driven the truck with them yet.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
These transmissions shift super slow no matter what you do to it; they're made to be tough, not fast.

Your rig is not gonna be quick no matter what you do to it (with the 38s), but the C6 would make it quicker than it is. After I saw how much clutches and flywheels cost for my T-18 I determined that I'd almost rather have a C6 too :toothless

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These transmissions shift super slow no matter what you do to it; they're made to be tough, not fast.

Your rig is not gonna be quick no matter what you do to it (with the 38s), but the C6 would make it quicker than it is. After I saw how much clutches and flywheels cost for my T-18 I determined that I'd almost rather have a C6 too :toothless
lol yeah, My flywheel is brand new with a new gear abvoiusly, Clutch is new, But C6 would also not be as hard on parts, Like the all of the sudden power when you dump the clutch= broken driveshafts & diffs,

·
Registered
203 Posts
me too

Exactly my thoughts on why i'm thinking of making the conversion too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts