Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I began to change my tcase fluid today bw1356. I unbolted the top fill plug when about a quart + of fluid came out? is this normal? yes it was on a level surface

·
Registered
915 Posts
More than a quart came out of the top fill plug? I'm no mechanic, but that seems someone went overboard when filling it. I think the Haynes manual says to fill it to the bottom of the opening (just until it starts to drip out) Which I think was somewhere around 1 1/2 - 2 quarts. Grab a Haynes manual and check, I don't remember for sure.

-Alex

·
Registered
447 Posts
Per my Chilton manual the fluid should be at the bottom of the FILL plug. Your transfer case was overserviced. It should hold a couple of quarts of Mercon fluid.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
The previous owner may have had it on an incline when refilling it.

Was the transfer case cold when you checked the level?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea it was cold, thanks for the quick response. I took out the drain plug and let it run untill it completely stopped than ran some fresh through it to flush it out. Refilling it took just under 2 1/2 quarts. hayes says 2-3

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
check it say in 5-7k miles to see if it is overfull again. the trans could be dumping fluid into the tcase.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
check it say in 5-7k miles to see if it is overfull again. the trans could be dumping fluid into the tcase.
I'm not sure how one could get the extra quart in there unless on a fair incline, front being down.....I've thought about your scenario Jopes, but the front 1356 seal would have to be aweful bad to allow E4OD fluid to drain back through it's seal into the Tcase. But who knows, I suppose if it was parked on a "front higher" incline and the seal was bad, fluid could slowly leak back past it.......

That would also mean the tranny should show a little low on fluid.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
the trans could have gotten pressurized at one time or still is. it will pump a tcase full of atf. it is rare but it happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts