Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the truck is a 91 nite with a 351, e4od trans, and manual case. the first issue i had was when i was going to work in the snow the other day, it was cruisin fine in 4 wheel high and then it started to buck a couple times then it was like it was in neutral. i let the truck sit for about a half an hour and then fired it up bumped it into 2wd and it made it to work fine and it bucked twice but i think that is when it was still trying to dissengage 4 wheel.

i did have a converter code before, so i dropped the pan, put in a new filter and drained the converter, filled it back up and threw some lucas in it. i took it out for a drive stopped and put it into 4 wheel high and it seemed like it went in but the 4x4 light on the dash started flashing. i put into two wheel took it out onto the back roads and beat the sh** out of it and everything seemed good in 2 wheel.

so i am at this point thinkin the t-case is gone. it never really like to shift easy into 4wd, and you had to pull the hell out of the handle to get it into neutral or 4 wheel low. if this does sound like the case, can anyone tell me the model of the case so i can start hunting one down? or anyone have one for a good deal? thanks alot for any info you can lend!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
same problem

I have a a 91 with E4OD. With BW1356 transfer. The electronic transfercase.
The last couple years mine will stay in 4 wheel in dirt or mud or deep snow, no problem. If I go on street in light snow or light dirt road, it will slip into neutral, then I have to click into 2 wheel, just like you said too. I heard it might the shift fork inside the transfer case. I never had mine checked yet. I have new converter, rebuilt tranny and new electronic transfer case motor.
Is it cheaper to fix the shift fork or just swap another transfer case?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine is a manual case though. i have never really had one apart so i would assume my floor shifter manually controls the fork. what is yours the push button 4wd?

·
Registered
28 Posts
puch button

yes mine is the push button. Wierd, sounds like the same problem still. I didn't know if that mattered, with the button or manual

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know that is what he said his case is but he said his is push button 4wd and mine is a manual case. i just want to be sure before i start looking for one. i didnt actually get under the truck yet to mess with the case. and here are the pics of the truck. if anyone wants it they can have it for $1400, it still runs and drives nice in 2wd. c'mon steve you need another one!!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rhame...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
91nite351 said:
i know that is what he said his case is but he said his is push button 4wd and mine is a manual case. i just want to be sure before i start looking for one. i didnt actually get under the truck yet to mess with the case. and here are the pics of the truck. if anyone wants it they can have it for $1400, it still runs and drives nice in 2wd. c'mon steve you need another one!!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rhame...=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
If you can get it to our shop(like 2 miles from the Lincoln Tunnel EXIT 16E NJ-TPK)......I will give you $1250.00 or I will come and get it with a flat bed or NJ used car dealer plate for $1000........let me know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would maybe...just maybe think about 1400 delivered there. i would rather part it than take a thousand, its got a 4 core aluminum rad, like new dueller mt 32s, new windsheild, 3.73s, and the list goes on. if you are seriosly interested pm me.

aside from that, i have a case in a 78 or 79 f250 big block truck, any poss. of that one working? i am fairly new to the bronco drivetrains so im not totally sure what is interchangeable.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
91nite351 said:
i would maybe...just maybe think about 1400 delivered there. i would rather part it than take a thousand, its got a 4 core aluminum rad, like new dueller mt 32s, new windsheild, 3.73s, and the list goes on. if you are seriosly interested pm me.

aside from that, i have a case in a 78 or 79 f250 big block truck, any poss. of that one working? i am fairly new to the bronco drivetrains so im not totally sure what is interchangeable.
most likely a NP205, your tcase adapter would have to be notched for the shift rail linkage on the 205. Your driveshafts would have to be modified. Hole in the floor for the manual shifter. Also a crossmember / support for the heavy ass 205 would be required. I don't know much about the computer operated stuff though, so not sure if there is anything electical or speedometer related you would have to do...

·
Registered
1 Posts
your t-case should have a motor on it if it is push button it very well could be messing up, t-case's are not the best in the world, if u think you can covert it i would switch to a np-205. much stroger and much heavy duty. it is all gear to gear instead of a chain. the borg warener that comes the the later model broncos is the same that comes in f-150,f-250,f-350 as long as it comes with the garbage a** E4OD.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
The BW1356 is pretty easy to rebuild yourself, it will probably be easier and cheaper to rebuild yours than to swap in an NP205. I bought a kit with all of the commonly needed rebuild parts in it off of eBay for $100. One of my shift forks was worn through, made shifting a lot harder than it should have been. Eventually it would not shift into high range at all. Now it shifts smooth as silk. If you have the mechanical skills to pull your t-case yourself, you can do the rebuild, once you open it up you'll see it's pretty obvious how it works. You'll need a stout set of snap ring pliars and also a medium sized gear puller to remove the speedometer gear from the output shaft. You'll also need a big socket with a thin wall to remove the yokes from the t-case. I ended up turning down a cheap Harbor freight socket on my belt sander to make the wall thin enough to fit into the yoke. Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was really starting to think the same thing, as far as it being a shift fork issue. it was always hard to shift into 4wd and neutral and low were next to impossible. and the more i think about it when it knocked out i caught a decent bump in the road which was prob. enough to bump it out of 4wd. i think i will probably just drop the case when it gets warmer and tear it apart. is the fluid on these things deff. shared with the trans? and if so is there a gasket in between the case and trans? and if it is just a fork issue will i be safe just running it in 2wd till i get it out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts