Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this and came up with only one answer. The bad part is that it lead to another question. I have an 84. It is leaking through the t-case shifter hole on the side of the case. http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/249572 On this page, piece #56 is what I believe I need. I have rebuilt some of these before, but I have never (that I can recall) put a different one of these in. Its been over a decade to say the least. Anyway, my question is, is this just an o-ring or is it a special part. If so, anyone have the part number? Is it an aftermarket or a Ford only item?

Chris

·
Banned
11,499 Posts
This is a better way to reference that diagram:

Copy the "Thumb" text field & paste it into your post here. :rolleyes:

I've never rebuilt a 1356, but that seal should be in the rebuild kit, and it SHOULD be changed every time. Have you contacted any parts suppliers?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
When I bought the seal kit, it did not come with that little seal. I'd bring Steve's diagram to ford parts and ask for just the seal and see what they say.

But, how bad is it leaking from there? Tcase is not overly full is it? You're going to have to tear the whole thing down to get to that, and it's not shown in the diagram but as i recall there is some kind of end clip holding that as well, and it's NOT easy to get to. I wanted to pull mine out when I tore my case down, but gave up messing with it since I couldn't get anything back there to get the clip off:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not leaving a puddle or anything, but it is leaking to the point that the entire side of the case is wet. My other case is not leaking from there so I may just mix and match for the time being just to make it go. I have not torn into it yet as I have not had the chance. I know it sounds stupid, but I just have not had the chance yet. When the kids go to bed for naps today, I will tear into it and see what I have to do. I guess I will also post what I find from there.

Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I pulled it out earlier. I do not have a lift at the house and the diesel swap is a pain with it all sitll in the vehicle. I am going to pull 'n' swap the cases here in about five minutes. I have two t-cases. Both are the same. The one that was in the operating vehicle up till about wedensday (last week) is leaking out of the shifter linkage seal. Not bad but enough that if you look under it, there is a drip that has run down and is on the drain plug. The side of the case is also wet from the shifter hole to the bottom of the t-case. I am going to have my wife transfer some pix over to my supermotors page so I can post pix for you guys. Oh, just FYI, the link to Steves page was located when I searched. I only found a few (five I think) links so if anyone else has any input or links to add to this, please do.

Chris

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
makes sense.

since you're doing this anyway have you thought about going ahead and doing a refresh on the case you put back in the truck? new seals maybe and along with that new plastic shift fork tabs, and perhaps the oil pump locator arm fix? heck if these cases have a lot of miles on them you may want to go ahead and buy the chain and the bearing package. I did a 1356 swap and refresh writeup a couple years back I can link you to if interested.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

You can see the plastic off white piece in the pic above. That hides an "o-ring" that is sammiched betwix the shifter and a shoulder on the inside

Here is what it looks like. All that crap was wet from the p/s fluid and brake kleen. I had it sitting under the front of the Bronco while I was doing a tear down. What are the advantages of the different case? I would LOVE to see that link but unfortunately, this is going to be on the cheap so I will have to postpone the swap. I am already a few hundred over my budget for the swaps which were supposed to BOTH be done half a month ago.

Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, that was the power steering fluid and brake kleen. I had it sitting under the front of the bronco and it leaked on it. You can see the leak coming from there when it was in the vehicle. Only from there out was wet.

Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I added a line in Magenta on post #9. I pulled it all apart and this what I have found. The o-ring that was in there had obviously been there for a while. It had a nice hardness to it and was flat on the sides. I am going to put it back together with some new seals and call it a day until I can get some other things together. All in all it is in realatively good shape, the gear has SOME damage on it (probably from shifting on the fly) where it has what looks like a double edge on the front of the gear. I have not torn into the other case to even see if that has better parts or not...Suppose I will do that before I stab this one back together.

Also, what are the advantages of the 1356? Is it because it has a pump or does it have a lower ratio?

Chris

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Okay, I added a line in Magenta on post #9. I pulled it all apart and this what I have found. The o-ring that was in there had obviously been there for a while. It had a nice hardness to it and was flat on the sides. I am going to put it back together with some new seals and call it a day until I can get some other things together. All in all it is in realatively good shape, the gear has SOME damage on it (probably from shifting on the fly) where it has what looks like a double edge on the front of the gear. I have not torn into the other case to even see if that has better parts or not...Suppose I will do that before I stab this one back together.

Also, what are the advantages of the 1356? Is it because it has a pump or does it have a lower ratio?

Chris
You're probably looking at this gear:

as far as I know that's not damage. every gear I've seen has this, even ones with low mileage. If you're concerned with this though, you can buy a new one for roughly $45 I think it was. I reused mine (had 80k on miles).

When you ask about the advantages of the 1356, what are you comparing the case too, a 1345, 205 or?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope. Not the right gear (I dont think, I will look when I get home). Not sure what the case is that is in it now, but it was the factory one from 84. No biggie, like I said. I am not afraid to run it, I just wonder if my spare case is in better shape. Should have the case back together tomorrow when the kiddies go down for the nap.

Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Been a few weeks since an update. I picked up some seals, o-rings, and some other good stuff. I wish I could have all of the pix so you could see all of the RTV shoved in every crevass inside this thing. Check out this bearing....

I figured I would just replace the bearing because I could not get the crap out of it while it was in the cage. I took it apart and this is all that came out. Since some of it felt as if it were filled with sand, there was much need to tear it apart. Once I get the new bearing, I will start to put it back together.

Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It actually looked like they used it to hold everything together. I did not rebuild this one, I scored it a while back for free and stuck it in place of my old (now spare) one because it shifted better than the other one. It should work after I set some things straight. I hope to have enough time tonight to get it back together. Doubt it, but I hope so.

Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy cow, it has been a while since this thread has been updated. The gear Shadowfox posted the pic of is out of a BW case. Mine is a 208. Used in 150-350 Fords, GMs, and Chryslers. I guess its pretty strong. Regardless, the shifter leak that started this whole thread is now not leaking. Both fill/drain plugs however, are. The rear seal (output shaft to driveshaft) is seaping and the front shaft is leaking. I changed the front seal (P/N 3946 from National Wheel End Co./MOOG) tonight and will get some different stuff tomorrow (o-rings/washers) to seal the fill/drain plugs.

I pulled the yoke off of the front, ground a bit off of it (inside to move the contact patch of the seal), hit it with some emery cloth, and threw it back together. Hopefully this works. I probably need new yokes but from the price comparrison, I may just get the 1356 and call it a day.

SWS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts