Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help i lost 4L

the last time i went wheeling i heard a pop coming from my tcase like it was slipping out of gear once in a wile and i had 4L then other times i i wouldnt it was bad to get over the rocks i was in 4H in granny gear anyone have any ideas what this could be im running an 87 f150 5.0 with the t18 tranny im not reall sure what the t case is :rockon

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a stick and the 4x4 light comes on and says 4x4 low then just the low light shuts off buts alwaysdone that and it seems to work some times like today i put the rear end up on the floor jack and in 4low and it pulled but when i was wheeling it wasnt ingaging

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
"swap the crappy manual system to the electric pushbutton"

I'm not a pushbutton basher, But evan I had to laugh at that.

In any case, its very posible your shift forks are shot. It seems to be the number one failure in T-cases. There not hard to change and no expensive. But you got to open the case.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
That's a good thred. It's probubly eazier than it looks in the picture. Sometimes you just have to replace the plastic pads on the forks and sometimes you have to replace the whole fork. You can do both without taking the chain or main shaft out of the case.

I have rebuilt sevral t-cases and I have never seen that pump arm fix. My current case is so worn I'm afraid the arm is going to break out the othe side of the web. I have a backup t-case and it's worn there too. I'm going to fix both of them like sugested. I almost didnt look at the thred because I am so fermillier with the case. I'm glad I did. You can aways learn something

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
The nice thing about the Tcase in our trucks is that it is indeed 1) easy to remove/install in the truck (having 2 sets of hands really helps though), and 2), bench disassembly/reassembly of the case is not difficult with proper tools (mainly seal puller and good snap ring pliers), and 3) understanding the internal workings is simple, so figuring out the problem once in there is usually obvious.

If your going to go to the trouble of getting in there, you might just want to buy a rebuild kit if it's seen many miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:beerok i did the clutch in my truck and when i reinstalled the transfer case it seemed to work i still have to go test it on the trail but i think dirty dave was right that it was just linkage:beer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts