Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off i did a search so hopefully this hasnt been addressed unless it was something that branched off from another post topic, Here goes.

Andy just brought up a point in a PM with me that Dave used some kind of a vss in his t-case so that he didnt have to sorry about it on his rear axle swap.

Can this be done on my 96?
If so how does an idiot like me go about doing it?
I mean i am just at the learning point right now, this is something that would wait until after my D44 SAS, but if I could swap a 9" instead of the 8.8 (later on down the road) I think that would be best for my needs.
:shrug
Thanks again Andy for the idear:thumbup :thumbup

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Jer, I've thought of that, but don't know the details. A 'case from a pre '92 would work, it would have the VSS in the 'case itself, like my '90 does. But I'm fairly certain it's not plug & play. I mean the 'case will bolt up but I'm guessing the signal from the exciter ring is totally different than what the t-case mounted VSS provides, so I dunno how you'd get the ECM to recognize the different signal.

I could be wrong, but if it were this simple I think you'd see more people doing this. Fireguy might know if he's sober.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud.
i sure hope people post here with news that neither one of us know about.
I just dont want it to turn into a war over "just swapping to a 10.25" :banghead
If only it were that easy...

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
My friend has a 93 with a swapped in 9" rear, and he doesnt have a speedo anymore because of it. He cant use the older style tcase plug either. The old style only sends out like 6 pulses per rotation, and the newer version from the 8.8 sends out alot more, like 108. So you cant just get a plug for your tcase. The 10.25 uses like 120, so that can work, but your tcase cant. People fab up little cogs to the driveshaft and use it that way, but that doesnt sound very sturdy to me.

This thread on F-T.com has some info about a sender that someone had made for inside his third member on the 9".

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith just sent me some info on a D70 that has the vss stuff in it and should be a direct swap like a 10.25 is, but it is of course 8 lug.

If anyone could find 9" mods to support the swap that would be amazing.
I havent found anymore data to support the t-case switch either.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
do a d60 rear out of a van.

Also, people have been succesful putting rings on 60's before. I remember a site where someone mad his own VSS on the driveshaft. I will see if I can find the info on it.
The guy who does my gears put a tone ring in a 60 with good results

The prob is, for the cost, it would be faster/easier and prolly cheaper just to do a sterling

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
I guess people didnt bother to read the last line in my previous post (Beerman, Pony Boy) because if you scroll up a bit, the last link I gave you was about someone adapting VSS into a 9".

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Search the PBB. There's a VSS part no for a Lincoln (Merc??) that puts out 8000ppm and fits in the xfer. That's really all you need.

Folks have done it... I just can't find any of them at the moment.

Putting it in the diff is another good option. That's basically what Dynarape does.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
NOBS! said:
and I think kurt at 2bb did a 60 with a sensor.
Yep, but he never got it to work quite right. I don't recall specifics but he still had some driveability issues which he thought were related to the tone ring.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Keith_L said:
Yep, but he never got it to work quite right. I don't recall specifics but he still had some driveability issues which he thought were related to the tone ring.
Well no, he had a diff-mounted VSS pushing a non-functional ABS computer feeding a signal to a PSOM hacked out of the cluster and bolted to the top of the dash before finally going to the ECM.

I haven't talked to him in detail about it lately, but last I heard, there were SO many places where something could have gone wrong in that swap, it was difficult to point the finger at any one thing. He also had a race-prep shift kit in the E4OD... I think he finally decided that it was the cause of the firm shifts and high shift points. IOW, it wasn't in limp mode like they originally thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts