Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was board so I took the bronco for a drive around the block and was thinking I never checked the 4x4 when I bought it So I stopped on the road put the tranny in park shifted into 4lo and creeped forward for a couple hundred feet stopped and put tranny back in park and shifted out of low to try 4hi it went into neutral but when i tried to shift it into anything 2hi or 4hi or back into 4lo it would just grind. SO i got out and both my drive lines are just turning so i shut off the engine put in 2 hi and drove back h0me fine.

So my question is what is wrong with it? Do i need a rebuild? I kinda hope so cause i have a guy with a 205 that is twin sticked for $200 but I don't know the condition of that one either. Any help would be great thanx.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If I recall correctly my NP205 did the same thing. I just started shifting it while rolling under 5 MPH in neutral and that solved the problem. Change the fluid.

·
Fullsize Member
2,804 Posts
Try putting the trans in neutral when shifting in and out of 4lo. Coming in and out of 4hi and 2hi shouldnt matter. If this does'nt help take a peek at you're tcase linkage.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Should front driveline be turning while the tranny is in park or neutral?
Nothing should be turning. Sounds to me like you have an issue in your transmission. When you are in park the output shaft would be stationary. If your xfer case grinds then the shaft is still turning.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My t-case grinds just a little bit when I put it into 4hi. Doesnt grind when I take it out of 4hi or 2hi or 4lo. I noticed if I pull it back fast into 4hi it wont grind or jerk or make any noise so I guess it doesnt hurt it. Just to be on the safe side you could just turn the engine off then shift to whatever you want it in.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It is not unusual for a gear driven transfer case like the 205 to be a bear to shift. Do not expect it to be butter smooth like newer vehicles.

The procedure to shift into 4x4 4Lo is as follows:

Place trans in NEUTRAL. Release foot from brake and gently reapply to eliminate any drive train bind. Shift transfer case into 4Lo. Place trans in gear and proceed.

The procedure to shift out of 4Lo:

Place trans in NEUTRAL. Release foot from brake and gently reapply to eliminate any drive train bind. Shift transfer case into 2Hi. Place trans in gear and proceed.

Auto trans: If at any time, the transfer case does not want to go into gear and you find yourself stuck in neutral at the transfer case. Resist the urge to place the trans in park or try to force the transfer case into gear. Instead kill the engine, get the transfer case into gear, and restart.

FWIW, if the transfer case is in neutral, do not expect the park function in the trans to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.