Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my truck gots a short one, but tis a bit PITA to use it, and I saw this pic when browsing through the thread about the February truck of the month nominees:

This is Bronco Boy's '85 XLT, dunno what his T-case is, but I was wondering, will a shifter like that fit what I got in my '78? I've been told my truck uses the NP205 t-case, dunno how correct that is, shift pattern front-to-rear is 4lo-N-2wd-4hi. Thanks!

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
if you have 2wd on your shifter it's a np205, no 2wd then it's a np203. you could cut your shifter and weld on a longer piece of metal if you want to make it longer, just find a shifter from a junk yard/ebay/FSB and weld and grind and paint, you could make it look good, just have the weld under the floor.

·
2,708 Posts
oh, that shifter is with the 1356 tcases, i had that in my '86, hated how bent it was, wish it was straight like the one i hvae now in my '78.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NP203 was the cast-iron beast that breaks trannies, right? Is the NP205 aluminum? How hard is your NP205 to shift? Mine you really have to reef on the stick to get it to move, t-case itself shifts fine, just hard to move the stick, hence why I kinda want a longer one.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
NP203 was the cast-iron beast that breaks trannies, right? Is the NP205 aluminum? How hard is your NP205 to shift? Mine you really have to reef on the stick to get it to move, t-case itself shifts fine, just hard to move the stick, hence why I kinda want a longer one.
God the 205 is cake. I just drove my gf home and the roads are gunna be getting slick and i popped it into 4wd without any strength. Slipped right in and out. You must have an issue with your t-case because mine is breeze

·
2,708 Posts
try looking at the linkages, shoot some pb blaster/wd40/what ever you like to use on them, get them to move freely. mine shifts fine, nice and easy.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll twin-stick it eventually, just now tis too damn cold to be messing with cars/trucks, and the new carb and driveshaft already took care of whatever small upgrades budget I had, lol

But I'll lubricate the rails, from 2wd to 4hi it moves nice, tis more effort to get the other rail to move, but once it does tis smooth too... maybe tis just the cold and lack of proper lubrication and presence of tons of mud and stuff on there.

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
pull the poppet, ball, and spring and lube the rail thru that hole and work it with the shifter a bit then put the ball, spring and poppet back and repeat on the other shift rail. pending on the region your in it tends to rust due to the condensation from the heat and cold.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, I'm in the Detroit area, so cold and wet it is - will do as you suggest once tis warm enough so my skin don't try to get frozen to the tools, lol

·
2,708 Posts
i'm back in the lansing area for the weekend, it is cold, i went to do some work on the bronco after getting it back from all new bushings and really didn't get much done

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny, I was supposed to be in the Lansing area with my girl this weekend, but my carb breaking down on Friday kinda ruined those plans. Good thing is her '86 is fuel injected (complete Cobra 351 swap IIRC) so she had no problem coming over, she would not help me with my truck (like you said, way too cold) but she cooked dinner, so all is good.

·
2,708 Posts
that's funny, i need a new choke(at the least) on my carb. it still runs good so i'm not in too big a hurry though

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always run manual chokes, had one on the Holley in the Chevy and I never had a no start situation, ever - you run electric on yours, or manual?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
electric works better than hot-air, but they do get tired too - kit for manual choke is like $12 for the truck kit and like $10 for the regular, truck kit has longer cable but I don't think tis all that needed as I cut a lot of it when I put mine in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts