Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure what transfer case i have in the 89, but i tried to switch it into 4low last night and it just wouldnt go, i tried again today with to no avail.

it switches into 4high very smoothly, and when i drive forward i can feel the auto hubs engage, but the shifter just wont budge to the left out of 4high into nuetral. it feels like its not even an option, the 4wd shifter just wont move, in any combination of clutch in/out truck on/off, in/out of gear, after driving, after being in reverse, nothing.

when i purchased the truck i tried out all the 4wd options, 4low worked great, nice and smooth and i could feel it engage the lower gears, i havnt tried it since and now it doesnt work.

any ideas?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,995 Posts
The case is a BW1356.

So itll switch between 4hi and 2hi, but you cant get it into 4lo or N?
I would check to see if the linkages are bent. Also, check the fluid level, but im not sure if having a low fluid-level will affect it shifting.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the linkages wernt bent last time it shifted into 4lo, and i havnt really been hitting it with a hammer or bouncing it off rocks or anything...:shrug

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Dustball said:
Try rolling very slowly in neutral and shifting.
:stupid

Make sure you are pushing down to get to neutral first, THEN going to 4low.

These are the basics...but let's cover them first. Also, make sure that you are shifting the transmission into neutral (even though I can't spell) - before you do anything else.

:beer
Bill

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
I had the same problem w/ mine earlier this year....I crwled under it and hosed the linkage down with pblaster and just kept working it back and forth until it started to go into neutral and 4lo. After it started shifting I hosed it with white lithium grease and kept at it for a few shifts and now it shifts great....I think the linkage just tends to seize up or rust a little after awhile... Now I spray it down with the Lithium grease everytime I change the oil and it's never done it again.....Hope your probelm is this simple---Fog

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks alot! ill try it as soon as it stops raining! (my garage is full of toys at the moment :D )

bill: it wont even go left to start to go to nuetral

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Had a post...then realized it was totally off...

Deleted it. SORRY!! :banghead

:beer
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts