Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question for you we picked up a '79 for parts the other day it has a 400 and a c6 i from what it looks like. It almost looks like it may have dual cases it only has one stick in the cab and it all looks stock it has on the shifter nob from top to bottom Lock, low, neutral, high and lock. Is is a two speed case?

·
Registered
585 Posts
89XLT said:
Hey guys I have a question for you we picked up a '79 for parts the other day it has a 400 and a c6 i from what it looks like. It almost looks like it may have dual cases it only has one stick in the cab and it all looks stock it has on the shifter nob from top to bottom Lock, low, neutral, high and lock. Is is a two speed case?
Yes, it's 2-spd. That sounds like the infamous NP203, full-time t-case. The "4lo-lock & 4hi-lock means that in either of those positions, the "differential" inside the case is locked, transferring power equally to the front & rear, like a regular t-case. If it's in any other position than "lock", the diff inside the case sends power to whichever axle needs it, much like a differential in an axle transfers power from wheel to wheel. It looks like 2 cases because of the housing on the back for the differential. About the only good thing about it is the low-range half, which can be attached to the NP205 to make a "doubler".

Hope that explains it :drinkbud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts