Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i have a 208 in my 80' not sure but should i get another 208 or what my t-case shit the bed so i need to pickup another.

·
Registered
432 Posts
BucKinBroNcO said:
I think i have a 208 in my 80' not sure but should i get another 208 or what my t-case shit the bed so i need to pickup another.
I just put a 208 in mine had to get rid of htat pushbutton pos.I have heard 205s are "bulletproof" but have havent really heard anything bad about the 208s either but it is all hearsay

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
idk if its a 208 but i think im gonna go with a 205 outta the bone yard but this wont be till spring cause im lazy and still gotta get around to a engine swap/build one of these months

·
Registered
489 Posts
NP205

NP208 http://www.wagoneers.com/JEEPS/tech/TRANSFER-CASES/NP208/NP208-xfr-speedo/P7181331.JPG
picture just too damn big to post up.
205 or 208? it's all a matter of choices. With the 205 you get brute strength but absolute SHYTE for gearing (1.96:1 low). With the 208 you get a good low range (2.61:1) but the stigma of a chain driven aluminum housed case. Me, I like my 208's ... I can get them for $50, my original is 22 years old, doesn't leak and runs fine (but I do have two spares just incase ;) )
With a 208 you really have to keep an eye on oil level and condition, get a good skid.
With a 205 just fill it with gear oil and one day down the road if you remember change the fluid now and again, it is a skid.
Take this for what it's worth .... just my opinion. :shrug

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i left somthing out, do the 205 and 208 both line upto where the original one goes? whats the scoop on the 203's? are they nice?
About that chain thing in the 208, i looked under and the t-case looked new or remanufactured so im guessing its a 208 with a problem in the chain system? cause like i said before it will go into 4wd somtimes but then it just stops so mabey its the chaing or gears thing? ill probably get a 208 or 205 but im gonna try to find a newer 205 (80-8?)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DAMNIT i coulda had that t-case too...you and dust would have never known! i swear...actually i didnt have the tools ect ect to take it out other wise id have that 44,9" and 205 sitting in my garage

·
FSB warrior
6,118 Posts
Rockfrog said:

With a 208 you really have to keep an eye on oil level and condition, get a good skid.
We are lucky we dont have the Chevy slip shaft version....

·
Registered
489 Posts
:shocked
... slip shaft ...
:shocked
AAAGGGHHH!!!!!! don't say things like that, it's down right nasty. now go wash yer mouth out with soap, and go pee on the first three C***Y's you see.
:twak

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
OT here, but my Blazer had a slip yoke on the 205 :twak

Despite the higher lo-range gear in the 205, I would rather run that, than an aluminum cased, chain driven Tcase. Even a 203 is better than a 208 or 1356 (but you give up size and weight with those massive F'ers)

Are you after some super low gearing? How about a doubler Tcase? A 203 lo-range box in front of a 205 :hump :rockon

·
Registered
489 Posts
And the beusty of a ford based case is ... I can run a ford 203 box, mated to a 208 .... if it blows a 205 will bolt right in with minimal mods (just a shifter arrangement), but then I have three 208's for the price of one 205. It's a matter of choice, if you worry about blowing up a transfer case then go 205. I don't (yet) so I'll stick with my trusty 208.
Honestly how bad are the aluminum cases? when was the last time anyone saw an iron 'case. Yes the 205 is the ultimate bolt in beef (not including aftermarket options) but is it really needed, in some cases, no. So far I'm on that train, but that's just me and my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just got a 205 outta a 76? f-150, will it fit up up to my 208 mounting area? what do i have to do?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts