Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
trying to go fast!!
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i need help on a thing or to i have done some searching and i am not sure if i have come up with what i need since the good people of this forum normally have all the answers i thought id ask i have a 93 5.0 with an automatic i hate the tranny so i picked up a early 80s worked over 302 and a T5 tranny the big question is Is there anyway to mate the T5 tranny to the transfer case??? thanks in advance if you think this is stupid tell me i wana know!! but i want to swap the engine in the truck with a 5 speed manual of some kind the T5 was only 100 bucks so i got it anyway

-Bobby

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Will the T5 borgwarner worldclass tranny is a good tranny to work on. Requires very limit tools, no case gaskets to install (rtv), & syncro are easy to change and replace.

Your biggest challenge is going to be the transfer case, never seen a 4x4 application using a T5 worldclass or non worldclass.

Next if a transfer case could be attached, I would think the tail extension , which btw the way holds the shifter rod, would be in the way. Also the 5th gear assembly is outside of the main box,further hampering any non Borgwarner parts.

Next, the case box is solid, but I 'm guessing when compared to the AOD or e4OD, the T5 case is flimsy in comparison.

Lastly, by the time you figure all out, you would be better off with a ZF, due to cost & time, and knowns in this area. You might want to look at the tremec before you spent time and dollars in fitting a BW T5 tranny into a Bronco.

I would take your tranny back , and try to get my 100 bucks back ;)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Uhhhh...that and the 2' shifter difference between the Bronco and Mustang.

SWS
uhhhhhh

they make different shifter & tails for the various cars that the T5 came in. T5s have been used in various nissans, chevy,amc, jeep and fords. I once have a T5 hybrid in a race datsun 240Z , using a ford worldclass main case, chevy input-shft, 280zx tail and long with a machine mainshaft for the odometer gear. It was one bad little tranny

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The shifter, for it to fit in your bronco, would be in the case. That solid piece that bolts to the bell, in front of the tailshaft housing.

SWS

the shifter in reallity is in the main case protrudes into he tail housing. If the shifter is tool long, like what you suggested earlier on, you can interchange other shifter shafts from any of the 20 other applications that has used a T5.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have my doubts that a T5 will live very long in a bronco....

·
trying to go fast!!
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thanks all for your suggestions i picked up the tranny for cheap knowing if i don't figure out a way to put it in my bronco ill just use it for a mustang project or something smaller so either way i don't mind i picked it up... i wonder to how well it would hold up and the fact that getting the shifter linkage to work right would be a problem as well as bolting it up to the T-case i have researched both the ZF tranny and the M5od i have found the Zf is much stronger but it drives like a dump truck however in a bronco strength not speed is what is important what do yal think ZF or M5od? or anything else better as long as its not an auto??
Thanks Bobby

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
well thanks all for your suggestions i picked up the tranny for cheap knowing if i don't figure out a way to put it in my bronco ill just use it for a mustang project or something smaller so either way i don't mind i picked it up... i wonder to how well it would hold up and the fact that getting the shifter linkage to work right would be a problem as well as bolting it up to the T-case i have researched both the ZF tranny and the M5od i have found the Zf is much stronger but it drives like a dump truck however in a bronco strength not speed is what is important what do yal think ZF or M5od? or anything else better as long as its not an auto??
Thanks Bobby
out of those 2 hands down the zf. It's proven to be reliable, and numerous writes up on how to install it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/ford_zfs542_zf547_manual_transmission_overhaul_kit.html

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS241US241&q=t5+transmission&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=WdrRS9iBFI6KsgPigcn1CQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CC0QrQQwAg

I don't understand why you keep asking the same questions and are not listening. LOOK WHERE THE SHIFTER IS IN THE FIRST LINK. Now, look at the t5. Is there a shifter that goes ON THE TOP PLATE? Not that I am aware of. Do it if you want and tell us we don't know what we are talking about after you spend $6k on a $600 buck swap, OR you could listen to reason and people who have done it and go from there.

SWS

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry man, the T5 is pretty much a no go. As far as ratios in the ZF, there were a lot of different ratios offered between gas or diesel & S5-42 or S5-47 (early & late). Lemme know if you need more info, I can get what you need at my shop. I plan on a ZF swap when I install my 93 5.0. Those ZF's are tough as nails. Especially in a light Bronco.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts