Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i drive down the street my tach jumps 3-400 rpms but i dont feel it or hear a diff. in the motor. Is it normal for the stock ford tachs to do or do i have a problem i dont know about yet? oh if i keep my accelorator in the same spot my bronco has a lerching that i just dont get but it happens at a different time than the tach issue i just ignore the tach but the lerching (sudden power then no power) it acts like the truck works for 2 seconds then takes abreak for 5or 6 seconds and it bothers me. what would cause this? i hope its not a slipping transmission. feel free to put your input on the subject. i need all the help i could get
:banghead

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine dont stall it just runs crappy when it wants to and better when warm. i just changed my wires cause i had two that got torched by my exhaust i but those E3 plugs in they helpped for about 200 miles them it started running like crap again. ill check the wires just to make sure they arent melted again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wires are fine. so what could be the problem i just cant figure it out other than its old and just wants to die.

·
Registered
32 Posts
check the fuel pressure regulator. with it in park messure the fuel pressure to make sure you are having no fluctuation in fuel pressure at a constant idle. if you are may be the fuel pressure regulator, clogged or dirty fuel filter. there are two fuel pumps a primary and secondary you can pull codes to make sure they are working correctly. like these guys said check for improper or obstructed grounds throughout the vehicle, try check plugs wires rotor distributor anything ignition and electrical. it could also be the situation i had where the oil pump starts to go and isnt getting enough oil to the motor. there is a sensor that shuts off the fuel pump and kills the truck. the warmer the motor gets the more fluent the oil is and the more often it occurs. it starts out slow but with a couple hundred more miles it becomes dangerous when your going down the road at fifty and it dies. check everything electrical first though. that is a worst case scenario could be an easy fix

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your input but i have a 83 no computer to check codes as far as i know and i only have one filter its new and i have a fuel pressure gauge after the filter and it says goes between 4 and 6 psi, i have a carburated 351w block with a 302 cam so i think i should be good on fuel pressure.wires are new too cap and rotor have like 1000 miles on them coil is the stock one so maybe its going out, i dont know.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts
And how do you know your wires are fine? Did you test them? I kid you not, I had a set of Motorcraft wires go bad in 6 months. They may look fine on the outside, but its the wire on the inside that fails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts