Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my 95 xl did not come with a tachometer.... which bugs me. i like to know what rpm im turning so i can know what the engines doing i guess because im used to my old stick shift. well they have the tachometers that you can buy at advance auto and they have like 2 or 3 wires(not sure how many) to plug into an existing connection. well on my old explorer, all the wires and plugs for the push button 4wd was there even though it was 2wd. so is all the wires and things there for a tachometer to go in if i was to buy one from advance?

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so the wires and the actual part that measures the rpms are there?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
or you can run a wire from the coil to the tach, run an ignition on to the tach, and a headlight on to the tach, and a ground wire.
The harness swap sounds easier though

How much does one cost?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Will any 92 to 96 cluster work? I assume you can pull one from any OBS gas truck or bronco?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Be careful with this.

My 1993 is the XLT with 351W and the E4OD. That one came with a tach on the instrument panel. My 1996 with a 302 and 5 speed did not come with a tach since it was just a XL trim package.

Easy peezy just switch out the dash since the 1993 and 1996 should be plug and play. I can tell you mine did not match... one connector matched fine but the other connector was not even close. One was mounted horizontally and one was mounted vertically and the connectors were not the same plug. So I put everything back together and bought an aftermarket tach.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,941 Posts
Be careful with this.

My 1993 is the XLT with 351W and the E4OD. That one came with a tach on the instrument panel. My 1996 with a 302 and 5 speed did not come with a tach since it was just a XL trim package.

Easy peezy just switch out the dash since the 1993 and 1996 should be plug and play. I can tell you mine did not match... one connector matched fine but the other connector was not even close. One was mounted horizontally and one was mounted vertically and the connectors were not the same plug. So I put everything back together and bought an aftermarket tach.
Im speculating here, but I think the E4OD would be the 'odd man out' in this situation. I believe this is due to the PSOM influencing the E4OD programming.

Reactions: canuckistan97

·
Registered
177 Posts
Im speculating here, but I think the E4OD would be the 'odd man out' in this situation. I believe this is due to the PSOM influencing the E4OD programming.
Well. My though was to just move my speedo and psom over to the new cluster.

There are a few on eBay like this. I just happened to find one from another 96 bronco with the cluster I need. So when it arrives I'll test everything. I really need to do the led lights while I have this all torn apart.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Any idea if a cluster from a 95 with an e4od should swap in? I ordered one from eBay but there's also one at Midwest mustang.

If you go out there both broncos are pretty much junk at this point. The dash, tops, and glass are really the only good things left. There was an older brick nose that had some rear panels but they look like ass.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,941 Posts
Any idea if a cluster from a 95 with an e4od should swap in? I ordered one from eBay but there's also one at Midwest mustang.

If you go out there both broncos are pretty much junk at this point. The dash, tops, and glass are really the only good things left. There was an older brick nose that had some rear panels but they look like ass.
I dont know for sure if it will swap in.

Did you go to MWM? Are the bodies complete? Or at least the tubs still on frame? Do you get to walk around in their yard and pull parts?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I dont know for sure if it will swap in.

Did you go to MWM? Are the bodies complete? Or at least the tubs still on frame? Do you get to walk around in their yard and pull parts?
Yeah I went physically looked at trucks. They have tons of stuff on their lot. And his name Warehouse shops got a bunch of rare and harder to find intakes and cylinder heads. From what I can tell the guy literally goes to the auctions by parts of them out. I actually bought the top off the 95 today I'm going to go pick it up this weekend. I know on their shelves they have several GT40 tubular intakes several different kinds of cylinder heads. I was going to buy a roller block from him because I have that back surgery it's not my highest priority right now.

It's definitely worth going to go check out. Might find something you need. The bodies are still on the frames for the broncos. I don't think they're worth anything though. They were pretty Rusty.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,941 Posts
Yeah I went physically looked at trucks. They have tons of stuff on their lot. And his name Warehouse shops got a bunch of rare and harder to find intakes and cylinder heads. From what I can tell the guy literally goes to the auctions by parts of them out. I actually bought the top off the 95 today I'm going to go pick it up this weekend. I know on their shelves they have several GT40 tubular intakes several different kinds of cylinder heads. I was going to buy a roller block from him because I have that back surgery it's not my highest priority right now.

It's definitely worth going to go check out. Might find something you need. The bodies are still on the frames for the broncos. I don't think they're worth anything though. They were pretty Rusty.
The cab on my 88 F250 that im making into a crawler is nearly shot. Though the bronco body would be a tough stretch to put on a standard F250 frame, since my body skills are near zero. Im actually considering swapping an old body on it. Like a 40s or 50s truck cab and hood.

Reactions: HarryGnuts

·
Registered
177 Posts
The cab on my 88 F250 that im making into a crawler is nearly shot. Though the bronco body would be a tough stretch to put on a standard F250 frame, since my body skills are near zero. Im actually considering swapping an old body on it. Like a 40s or 50s truck cab and hood.
You might be able to score a cab. They for sure have several OBS regular cabs. I don't recall if there was an extended cab or not

·
Addicted to Junk
12,941 Posts
You might be able to score a cab. They for sure have several OBS regular cabs. I don't recall if there was an extended cab or not
Yeah I can get pickup cabs up at the JY pretty cheap IIRC. Its a regular cab long bed but an extended cab and short flatbed would be nice. Theres just nothing left of the rockers in the current cab. And the whole floor is rusty underneath. Structural integrity is more important than looks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah I can get pickup cabs up at the JY pretty cheap IIRC. Its a regular cab long bed but an extended cab and short flatbed would be nice. Theres just nothing left of the rockers in the current cab. And the whole floor is rusty underneath. Structural integrity is more important than looks
Completely agree. Would it be more efficient to just buy another truck from the south or west coast? Drip rail issues aside, west coast trucks don't rust. I'm actually going to fly back out to Seattle or Portland and buy an excursion.

·
Addicted to Junk
12,941 Posts
Completely agree. Would it be more efficient to just buy another truck from the south or west coast? Drip rail issues aside, west coast trucks don't rust. I'm actually going to fly back out to Seattle or Portland and buy an excursion.
Nah that would be more than I wanna spend. Its a trail beater, and wont even be registered most likely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts