Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tail gate latch handle on my '95 requires a hurculean jerk to get the dang thing open. I mean, if I wasn't a former power-lifter, I'm not sure I could get it open.

Is this a common problem? What is usually the culprit?

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I sprayed the crazyness out of the latches on the side with wd-40, works well for around a month, then i do it agian.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Wd-40 has a tendency to suck after a few weeks or exposure to the elements.

Get ahold of a can of corrosion block....Keeps moving things...Moving, Very very well.

Be liberal with it, It wont break anything.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Lord Drilim said:
Wd-40 has a tendency to suck after a few weeks or exposure to the elements.
:stupid I used white lithium grease...sprayed the shit out of it...:thumbup

·
Super Moderator
26,030 Posts
yo,
All of what those guys wrote plus our 96's latches' screws loosened over time; so check em as well as the gate's cables for fraying.
Then look at the wiring harness on driver's side near tail light assy; it tends to fray there & cause all sortsa probs.

Later; open up both t' light assys. and ck for fraying harnesses esp on passenger side; that harness was wrapped tight against the sharp edge of the fender inside the assy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It was an easy fix for me.

When I got my Bronco a month ago, I had the same problem. I was able to find out that one side of the gate was releasing, but the other was not.

It was a really easy fix.

Just open up the panel on the tailgate. loosen the bolts that hold the latching mechanism to the middle of the tailgate, then move the mechanism left/right, moving it farter from whatever side is not unlatching correctly.

Then tighten the bolts back down, and give it a try.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips

I doused both side latches with Corrosion X and it worked like magic.
:thumbup

·
Registered
787 Posts
Another thing that really helps a lot is to clean the latches with carb or brake cleaner before you lube the crap out of them.

Get off all that nasty crap first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts