Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. Next week I'm going to replace my exhaust from the cat back. I'm putting on a glass pack muffler, 2 1/4" in and out.
My first question is: I can go with a 2 1/4" tail pipe, If I use an adapter to go to 3" tail pipe, will there be a big difference in sound between the 2 1/4 and
3" pipe? Will the 3" tail pipe make the sound louder, deeper or what?
My second question is for those of you that have lifted trucks.
My bronco has a 6" chassis and 3" body lift. The tail pipe that is on it now is the normal no lift tail pipe with the big hump to clear the axle. Have any of you installed a custome tail pipe that more or less goes straight back with bends to clear the gas tank and spring? I'd like to do this and have the exhaust come out about 3 or 4" behind the tire.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
if u want sound then dont go slap pack they suck i am a muffler instaler i hate them slappack's. go with a nice hooker muffler or a mangaflow they sound great on are old ford's.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Uhhh, hmmm, honestly,.....

from personal experience,...straight six + glass pack = loud and annoying. You'll have cats, so maybe it won't be so bad. Like in the above statement, I'd go with a good muffler instead. Some of the better ones will give you a nice low rumble, almost small block V8-like. Like I said, personal experience and opinion. Just my $.02. :toothless

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a glasspack on my 302 and I love it. i still have the cat on and it's not too loud. I also have a straight pipe over my axle with a 4 in. lift and Im not comfortable off road with it as far as clearance goes...I'd say keep the hump just in case.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going with the 2.25" in out with a 2.25" custom bent tail pipe. My beast is a dd and won't see any wheeling so clearance is not a problem.
It now has 2" muffler and 2" tail so I figure 2.25 will open it up allittle.
Thanks again.
Bill

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you're running the stock cats like I have to (emissions) just leave the mufflers off completely. I just did this last night to my '87. Nice sound, not too loud at all. It actually sounds like it should. The cats muffle 90% of the noise.
Greg

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Hi gang. Next week I'm going to replace my exhaust from the cat back. I'm putting on a glass pack muffler, 2 1/4" in and out.
My first question is: I can go with a 2 1/4" tail pipe, If I use an adapter to go to 3" tail pipe, will there be a big difference in sound between the 2 1/4 and
3" pipe? Will the 3" tail pipe make the sound louder, deeper or what?
My second question is for those of you that have lifted trucks.
My bronco has a 6" chassis and 3" body lift. The tail pipe that is on it now is the normal no lift tail pipe with the big hump to clear the axle. Have any of you installed a custome tail pipe that more or less goes straight back with bends to clear the gas tank and spring? I'd like to do this and have the exhaust come out about 3 or 4" behind the tire.
Thanks
Bill
Yes you can Bill

The adaptor in the pic below (welded to a header flange);

is really two adapter's to step down from 3" to 2 1/2", then a second one welded to that to got from 2 1/2" down to 2 1/4";

Do a little searching around your parts catalogs at your parts store and you'll find the correct O.D. or I.D. adapter pipes you want, Mine were less than $5.00 each (item on the right in the pic below)

One tip is move the muffler that much further forward to allow for the adapters, leave the tailpipe exactly where it would be stock.

Good luck finding the right muffler tone, that will be the tall order on a big six.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tail pipe

Thanks again everyone. My final decision: I bought a thrush turbo muffler today.2 1/4 in and out and will go with a more or less straight custom bent taill pipe. (custom bent meaning bends to clear gas tank and leaf springs. It will come out the side about 4 inches behind the tire.
I don't know how the thrush turbo will sound but i'm hoping that it will sound almost as good as the hush thrush that I had om my 318 back in the 70's.
I know that the glass packs get louder as the fiberglass burns away and I don't want to have to do the exhaust again when it gets too loud.
As far as cats and muffler, the two factory cats are gone and a universal cat in their place. Cat is gutted, just an empty chamber. Emissions here in pa for my year is only visual so the cat and muffer have to be there. Talk about stupid emission law, all original or equivelant emissions components have to be there but they do not have to work. Well if they don't have to work then why do they require them to be there. Oh well such is life I guess.
So anyway, any thoughts on the thrush turbo muffer?
Never heard it mentioned in any of the forums.
Bill

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
and will go with a more or less straight custom bent taill pipe. (custom bent meaning bends to clear gas tank and leaf springs. It will come out the side about 4 inches behind the tire.

Bill
Careful

people here have scored the Maremont mandrel bent 3" tailpipe for well under $30.00. Don't want to overspend that !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tail pipe

Sixlitre, I will check into the mandrel bent pipe. There is a small repair shop near me that has an exhaust bending machine. I'm going to stop in this week and see how much it will cost me to have them bend it for me. I may decide to go with 3" anyway. I'm going to try to have it bent in the least amount of degrees as possible so there is not as much restriction at the bends.

bonzai, if by turn downs you mean the tips that point down at the end of the tail pipe, then yes, I am going to put one on. I have one on my tail pipe now.
My tail pipe presantly comes out half way between the tire and the back of the bronco. I was getting exhaust fumes when the back window was open. I put the turn down on and it made a big difference but still get a little fumes still comming in. Thats why I"m going to have it come out closer to the tire and have a turn down on it.
Bill

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
bonzai, if by turn downs you mean the tips that point down at the end of the tail pipe, then yes, I am going to put one on. I have one on my tail pipe now.
My tail pipe presantly comes out half way between the tire and the back of the bronco. I was getting exhaust fumes when the back window was open. I put the turn down on and it made a big difference but still get a little fumes still comming in. Thats why I"m going to have it come out closer to the tire and have a turn down on it.
Bill
Im actually referring to the turndown right after the muffler. I have them on mine. So I have no piping after the muffler except 2 immediate turndowns(I have dual outlet muffler)welded to the muffler outlets and it dumps before the rear axle. I had my original tail pipes cut off for the turndowns and love the sound difference. No problem with fumes either.

something like this(pic courtesy of Late Model Man):

but i have 2 pipes since i have dual outlet and they point even more down.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Sixlitre, I will check into the mandrel bent pipe. There is a small repair shop near me that has an exhaust bending machine. I'm going to stop in this week and see how much it will cost me to have them bend it for me. I may decide to go with 3" anyway. I'm going to try to have it bent in the least amount of degrees as possible so there is not as much restriction at the bends.
85fsbill

$30.00 don't buy much labour time in my town, so be careful you don't end up spending way more than the 3" tailpipe

I have a mandrel bent Dynomax 2 1/2" tailpipe but that's $42.00 IIRC

Sixlitre

1 - 14 of 14 Posts