Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 in my 79 broncos tailgate the handle to open it doesn't work, after a little investigating it looks like the rod the that goes down from the handle is disconnected at the bottom, but I can't find where it goes.
#2 my tailgate lock I need to replace, I was wondering if there are any videos or tips on how to do so, and what parts I may need, I know where to get the lock.
#3 My antenna was moved to be in the middle of the roof (not by me) and the wire that runs down gets in the way of me putting in a dome light bulb, could I just put a spacer so that the dome light can work?

thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
For the tailgate handle it might just be a bent rod, a very common problem in broncos. You should be able to manually pull it with the access panel open. As for the lock what do you mean? Like the cylinder doesn't work? The lock serves no other purpose but to be used to raise/lower the tailgate glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the tailgate handle it might just be a bent rod, a very common problem in broncos. You should be able to manually pull it with the access panel open. As for the lock what do you mean? Like the cylinder doesn't work? The lock serves no other purpose but to be used to raise/lower the tailgate glass.

the lock problem is that i never had the key to the tailgate, and it seems to be cheaper to replace than to get a key made and the rod for the handle, if it is bent, where would it attach?

·
Registered
493 Posts
the lock problem is that i never had the key to the tailgate, and it seems to be cheaper to replace than to get a key made and the rod for the handle, if it is bent, where would it attach?
Do your door/ignition key not fit in it? Its a super easy to replace lock cylinder all you have to do is short the safety mechanism to raise the tailgate. once you open the access panel theres a white plug nearest to the handle. Disconnect it and stick a piece of wire in between the two prongs. That will allow you to raise the tailgate glass. Be careful when doing that and make sure it's supported as you dont want it to brake on you. Once the glass is raised all you have to pull is a pin and the lock cylinder will release from the tailgate harness

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do your door/ignition key not fit in it? Its a super easy to replace lock cylinder all you have to do is short the safety mechanism to raise the tailgate. once you open the access panel theres a white plug nearest to the handle. Disconnect it and stick a piece of wire in between the two prongs. That will allow you to raise the tailgate glass. Be careful when doing that and make sure it's supported as you dont want it to brake on you. Once the glass is raised all you have to pull is a pin and the lock cylinder will release from the tailgate harness

Will I need a special lock? or will a normal ignition lock work?

·
Super Moderator
24,655 Posts
Yo 79,
For the TG Handle Rod, see what @BikerPepe` s info @

NOS FOMOCO LOCKS FORD BRONCO REAR BACK POWER ELECTRIC TAILGATE WINDOW LOCK 78-96 @ NOS FOMOCO LOCKS FORD BRONCO REAR BACK POWER ELECTRIC TAILGATE WINDOW LOCK 78-96 | eBay

NOS-FOMOCO-LOCKS-FORD-BRONCO-REAR-BACK-POWER-ELECTRIC-TAILGATE-WINDOW-LOCK-78-96
US $59.99

Many other sellers are on e bay

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans
234 Posts
Is the point with the hanging rod clarified?

It must hang down and the end to be bend.
on that bended area the glass will be sitting and pull the latch mechanism from the handle, so that you can use the handle when window is fully or almost fully down.

the setup is not to be used by handle when window is not down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts