Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a write up on swapping a tailgate from a newer model (84) into a 79, I found the tailgate swap, class a,b,c, thing.
But my question is this, if I'm changing the latches on the donor gate, why change the strikers? Can I just change the latches? Or just change the strikers? As far as the glass support brackets, does that mean just the "tracks" that the window slides in, or the pieces that attach the glass to the regulator too? Any help would be appreciated.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw that David, but it doesn't make sense if I'm swapping the latches, why swap the strikers? Shouldn't it be one or the other? Or am I just thinking too much? I'm not an idiot really.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I can only guess that maybe the strikers and latches are different from each other. I can confirm that tomorrow, ,when tim and todd get here... I can compare their latches and strikers with mine. I do know tim's got a 79 tailgate on his tho

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I parked the 84 and the 79 back to back, the latches and strikers are different. The 84 strikers look like the typical strikers in a door jamb, ( a single bolt that threads into the body) the 79 are the plate with a stub. I'm just thinking if I put the latched from the 79 gate on the donor (84) than I shouldn't need to change the strikers. Does that make sense?

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
That would stand to reason. I don't know the answer but like you I would think you are correct. I just basicly posted so you'll know that at least to me your sounding sane...(I know how it is to think noone has a clue what your saying):toothless

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blaze said:
That would stand to reason. I don't know the answer but like you I would think you are correct. I just basicly posted so you'll know that at least to me your sounding sane...(I know how it is to think noone has a clue what your saying):toothless
Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I finally see what you're saying :brownbag I would just use the 79s latches on the 84 tailgate, since those latches will still be catching into their original strikers

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
davids78bronco said:
I finally see what you're saying :brownbag I would just use the 79s latches on the 84 tailgate, since those latches will still be catching into their original strikers
Sometimes it's difficult to understand someone's thoughts in writing. Nothing beats a real conversation. :thumbup

I'll try and let you know hat happens.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Yeah I know, just wondered if it was a batter latch.
I can't just "bypass" it, I'd take it off and grind off the mounts for the switch for a cleaner install

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fireguy50 said:
Yeah I know, just wondered if it was a batter latch.
I can't just "bypass" it, I'd take it off and grind off the mounts for the switch for a cleaner install
I actually like the newer style latches better, they close tighter and easier IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts