Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there's a difference in length or functionality of 78/79 cables vs 80-96?

And does anyone have any personal reviews of aftermarket cables?

I had a cable finally snap on me a couple days ago. It's rusty and I noticed the individual wires of the cable were frayed a few weeks ago. I have access to 78/79 cables in the wrecking yard as well as 80-96 cables, but if brand new non-40 year old cables are available and fit properly, I'd be willing to buy a set.

Also, if anyone is wondering, yes, one cable will hold the tailgate and a 230 lb body sitting on it. I don't recommend doing it, but it held. (y)

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
4,471 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to measure mine when I get home from work and take a look at the eyelets to see if they are anything special. Bronco graveyard sells them for 78/79 and for 80-96, but the engineering number they have for each one as reference is the same number. So, maybe they're all the same.

Either way, I won't be getting them from Bronco graveyard with how much they charge for shipping and the parts not being an exclusive to them!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
There might be a difference in mount style at least. I got a set from Autozone that had to be ordered in even though there were some I thought might work in the 'Help' section in the aisle. Cheap and easy to replace though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1994 351W XLT E4OD electric 4x4 manual locking hubs
25 Posts
I think they should be the same 19 inch long cable as the 80-96 i just bought 2 off rock auto and they work great. now to find a new torsion rod for the tailgate as it broke when the cables did

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
3,778 Posts
I got my set for my 82 from lmc truck and very happy with them,, altho they did suggest I needed this other piece (looks like some sort of guide or something that keeps the cable out of the gate's way when you close it) but I didn't need it. Other gens might tho...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400m engine, C6 trans, D44 front with Dick Cepek manual hubs
1,080 Posts
It's kinda funny seeing everything in German when you click on that link. At least I can learn the German words for all of my Bronco parts now.
sorry, I did not change it back to english, and yes, now you will be global traveller with that german Bronco know how --- just preparing your visit to me , even you are not aware of it yet.... ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts