Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is too much play in a tailgate hinge. The passenger hinge looks solid, no rust issues, but rocks a bit. The driver side is firm. Took some photos but it's hard to see the movement. Maybe an 1/8" wobble.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Are your striker bushings wore out or missing?
There should be plastic bushings on the strikers just like there is on the front doors

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Are you serious? 1/8th inch of play after 20 years? That's phenominal wear for a rotating joint.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Mines 20 years old and I have no play, when tailgate latches its tight as can be
Top and bottom

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you serious? 1/8th inch of play after 20 years? That's phenominal wear for a rotating joint.
Yeah, you've a good point and with the drivers side being solid I'm really not complaining. Considering that no one offers replacements, I'll probably just ride it out, I did consider pulling it off the t/g and heating it up and and beating the stud, but probably not. Thanks for the reply.

fordbronco95, I'm not sure what the striker plate has to do with the hinge unless wear on the striker plate would cause wear in the hinge??? Nonetheless, I'll take a look at it when I work the tailgate again next weekend.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sorry read the post and got myself confused, :wacko imagine that lol.
I thought you meant the end play was at the top. But still doesn't hurt to check them, could be contributing to the actual issue

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mines 20 years old and I have no play, when tailgate latches its tight as can be
Top and bottom
Mine did latch tight. I have it torn apart now doing rust repair and just spent the day drilling out 6 or 8 bolts from the spare tire carrier. I'd post some pics, but as I said earlier, my ability to post attachments is nil. Maybe later I can archive my tailgate project. It won't rival Steve's, but maybe add a couple of details.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
the hinge pin broke on my 78 last summer in the dunes, it was pretty worn out too
I took off hinge,drilled it out and made a new pin using next size up bolt and nut

when is the last time anyone oiled their hinges,door ,hood or tailgate?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts