Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tailgate motor works. But it only brings the glass down just enough for me to get my fingers on top of the glass. It just stops.

I was trying to do it from outside the truck. I noticed that there is a slight dent on the outside shell from someone backing into something and pressing the spare tire against the tailgate.

Could this dent be keeping the gears inside from lowering the glass? Or is it just an issue of the glass catching on it's way down the track?

I've looked at alot if not all the threads and sites listed for dealing with this tailgate, but cannot find anything for what to do if the glass is up and you can't get it down.

Help! Lol. And be gentle. I'm a noob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
it could be the dent. on my bronco my window track was old and it would do the same thing as yours. i just put some wd 40 in the track and it has been working ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying to avoid having to disasemble everything, but I guess that's what it is going to take.

It sucks having to climb over the drivers seat, and the back seat to get ky tools! So I'd like to have that tailgate open before it gets cold! Lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Its not too difficult. If you cant get the window all the way down, you will have to take the motor out with the window up. 3 bolts. Not real easy to get to in that contortioned position but it is doable.
You could also unbolt the glass and slide it down carefully. Id rather take the motor out personally to avoid breaking the window.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
FSB member Steve83 has the best tailgate tech in his album bar none, just click on his black Bronco and it should take you right to it.....otherwise I believe it's on www.supermotors.net

You need to remove the TG access panel to get inside to do any work and usually the TG PW motors are riveted with "torque pins" to the "backing plate" so it doesn't "ratche" when activated. The regualtor arms have teeth that mate with the PW motor and scissor up/down to move the window so in order to remove it you'd have to drill out the "pins" BUT on the other end of the regulator arms there are "toggles" that slide in tracks on each side of the TG box so just disconnect them from the track and that should help getting the window up/down manually.

Also make sure the tailgate closes "flush" with the body line otherwise the safety switch prevents the window from working, checking the adjustment using a T-50 torx socket will enable you to loosen and "rotate" the bolts in place or completely unscrew out to put on new bushings using lubricant to help slide on, are the anti- rattle devices for Doors and TG, "door striker bolts" part # 38420 -$7.99 Doorman mfg. and "door striker bushings" part # 38424 - $3.99 Doorman mfg. both of which can be found in the Help section in most auto stores.

When the window goes down either manually or electrically it catches a "rod" on the way down in order for the TG handle to "clear and release" the cables for latches on either side and the window needs to be below the top of TG line otherwise when you pull on the TG handle, it won't work and you can "bend" parts where it won't function properly to clear/release so in this case you's need to remove the access panel and pull both cables towards the center to open and drop the TG.........REAL PITA.....lol lol

Steve83's tailgate tech helped me fix that issue for me and now I can open and drop the tailgate, the motor was out aready when I bought my BKO from the PO and I had it rebuilt but the TG is rusted badly and needs to be replaced so it's been sitting in a box in the garage....lol lol.....but I'm getting closer now $$$$$ and soon will be looking for a Cali rust free TG and then have the task of getting it all back and working electrically .......after 8 years of ownership.....lol lol

As for the dent, remove the access panel just look inside and see if it's affecting the movement of the window and if so pound it out and you're good to go!

Hope that helps Brother!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Might just need proper lubrication. AKA grease the arm and part where it slides in the track on the bottom of the window. Hell grease everything but the glass itself and see if it was just binding there from rust or a dry track

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your advice.

I will be working on it this weekend and will update on Monday or tuesday how I've done. I got to get some better light in there to see what's going on. I already had taken off the access panel, but wanted some advice before I get too carried away.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts