Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my bronco and it only came with one key, the owner is out of country (military) now and I cannot contact him.

Is there another way to get the gate down beside the auxiliary key?

Do I need to go to a locksmith to have one made?

Thanks

jr.

Sorry guy's it's a 1996 EB

·
Registered
90 Posts
i guess it all depends on what year bronco youhave. Ihave a switch just left of the steering column that rolls down the window

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No button on the dash, I have a tail light out and need to get the gate open to repair, looks like a trip down to the local ford dealership

·
Registered
81 Posts
ford cannot lookup key codes unless it is 2001 and newer dealership will do you no good.. look in the original information with the owners manual see if you can find the littlestamped aluminum key tag... 96 i beleive is a 4 digit code ending in a x for example 1429x ... other wise call a lock smith

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
No button on the dash, I have a tail light out and need to get the gate open to repair, looks like a trip down to the local ford dealership

Are you sure there isn't a switch next to the headlight switch? Seems odd that it does not have one.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,067 Posts
I never saw one without a dash switch for the rear window. Mine has two rocker switches side by side, one for the window & one for the defroster. Normally it only works when the ignition is on. On a 90 it's a rocker switch to the left of the column, but on a 96 I don't know. If it doesn't work, try having someone hold the switch down while you push in on the driver's side of the tailgate. There's a safety switch that won't allow the window to open unless the left latch is completely closed.

On a 90 the glove box is the same key as the tailgate. If that's the case on a 96, it might be easier to take the glove box lock in. I have seen a locksmith use a number from the back of the glove box lock to punch out a new key. It was another brand, but you might give them a call & see if that would work on a 96 Bronco. That method was less than $15.

Another possibility is to crawl in the back, remove the access cover & jumper hot & ground directly to the leads for the tailgate motor to get the window open. You'll still have to resolve the other issues, but at least you'd be able to open the gate for the taillight repairs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ford cannot lookup key codes unless it is 2001 and newer dealership will do you no good.. look in the original information with the owners manual see if you can find the littlestamped aluminum key tag... 96 i beleive is a 4 digit code ending in a x for example 1429x ... other wise call a lock smith
I have never had a problem getting a key cut from a vin, Maybe it depends on how lazy the parts guy is at the dealership. I have had keys done for everything from my a 79' Bronco to a 2000 Navigator.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
my 85 no tailgate switch and has a dash switch near the climate control...theres got to be a cab switch some where as i dont think the tailgate switch will work without a dash switch ..unless it works off of the factory alarm ...jm2c

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank goodness this is the no flame zone!!
I have the switch for the window, I did not know you have to roll the window down to open the gate (you got to be kidding me), my jeep you just pull on the handle window up or down and the gate opens. The window does not roll down very smoothly and starts to bind up, I'll have to look into this.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I have the switch for the window, I did not know you have to roll the window down to open the gate (you got to be kidding me), my jeep you just pull on the handle window up or down and the gate opens. The window does not roll down very smoothly and starts to bind up, I'll have to look into this.
The tailgate handle is on the inside. There's no way you're reaching the handle with the glass up unless you have magical powers.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,067 Posts
Yeah, the key in the back is for the window only, not the gate. There's a piece of linkage that releases the inside handle only when the window is all the way down, so the window is protected when the gate is open. It's the last remnant of old station wagon technology. :toothless

·
Registered
710 Posts

you need to lube up everything in there and make sure that nothing is binding in the tracks for the window. Busting a window is expensive. There are hundreds of threads (if not thousands) on here about back window troubles, do a search and you will find all you need to know about how they operate. Just lube everything up good with something fairly thick (not wd-40) and make sure your tracks are not bent or have junk in them and your window should be good to go...

don't feel bad about not finding the switch, no one knows something until they figure it out. good luck with your new bronco, and people on here will be willing to help you figure out any problems you've got.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts