Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My tailgate release assembly broke today & was wondering if Jeff's Bronco Graveyard would be about the best place to buy @ $35.00?

Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
have you taken it apart and looked to see what, specifically was broken?
I've fixed mine in the past and it's still working like a champ. :shrug
Bent it back in shape and removed the window-down, safety catch so it wouldn't happen again.

$35 (+ shipping/tax) isn't much though, without any clue what's actually wrong.
1980-96 Ford Bronco Tailgate Handle Release Assy,-Broncograveyard.com

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: BikerPepe`

ok... first thing. In the future, when you see the handle no longer sits flush with the gate but sticks out... the handle has been used when the "window down" safety wasn't fully engaged. The more it gets tugged on, the more the bracket bends. Forcing the handle down level with the gate by hand only exacerbates the original problem. I've had to fix this problem with nearly every Bronco I've owned, first thing. Of course... now that you've pulled yours apart and surveyed the situation, you probably already figured that out.

Yes... if you remove the same L shaped bracket I show separated from my assembly (thereby eliminating the connected "window catch rod" as well), it easily and effectively removes the "window down" safety function from the tailgate handle. The tailgate handle will open the tailgate easily and with no more resistance, regardless of the location of the window.

I found the easiest and cleanest way to remove the safety lever was to flip the bracket around while it's not mounted and grind the rivet holding the L arm lever to the plate. Quick, easy, clean. :thumbup

WARNING: Dropping a tailgate without the window completely lowered WILL usually shatter a rear window and can possibly hurt someone in the process. This is not something for the casual or family Bronco owner to do and I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to ever sell your Bronco. Imagine a child in the back, able to pull the handle and open/drop the gate with the window up or mostly up... probably worst case scenario.
Lowering the gate with the window extended should never happen. If you need to work on the window or tailgate internals, lower the window into the gate, open the gate, flip the gate latch trigger (driver side) and use the now active key switch to extend the window with the gate down. You should consider supporting the window while it's extending with your other hand... to avoid scratching the glass, if your window rubber isn't fresh or new.

Sorry for the disclaimer stuff, but you never know who's reading these things and this modification should be done with complete awareness that you are eliminating an OEM safety feature. I have no children around to be concerned about, my storage area isn't "open" or easily accessible and I've owned many Bronco's over many years.

Reactions: miesk5

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Good deal. Thanks Pepe!

Registered
95 XL with EFI 5.8 (Automatic)
ok... first thing. In the future, when you see the handle no longer sits flush with the gate but sticks out... the handle has been used when the "window down" safety wasn't fully engaged. The more it gets tugged on, the more the bracket bends. Forcing the handle down level with the gate by hand only exacerbates the original problem. I've had to fix this problem with nearly every Bronco I've owned, first thing. Of course... now that you've pulled yours apart and surveyed the situation, you probably already figured that out.

Yes... if you remove the same L shaped bracket I show separated from my assembly (thereby eliminating the connected "window catch rod" as well), it easily and effectively removes the "window down" safety function from the tailgate handle. The tailgate handle will open the tailgate easily and with no more resistance, regardless of the location of the window.

I found the easiest and cleanest way to remove the safety lever was to flip the bracket around while it's not mounted and grind the rivet holding the L arm lever to the plate. Quick, easy, clean. :thumbup

WARNING: Dropping a tailgate without the window completely lowered WILL usually shatter a rear window and can possibly hurt someone in the process. This is not something for the casual or family Bronco owner to do and I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to ever sell your Bronco. Imagine a child in the back, able to pull the handle and open/drop the gate with the window up or mostly up... probably worst case scenario.
Lowering the gate with the window extended should never happen. If you need to work on the window or tailgate internals, lower the window into the gate, open the gate, flip the gate latch trigger (driver side) and use the now active key switch to extend the window with the gate down. You should consider supporting the window while it's extending with your other hand... to avoid scratching the glass, if your window rubber isn't fresh or new.

Sorry for the disclaimer stuff, but you never know who's reading these things and this modification should be done with complete awareness that you are eliminating an OEM safety feature. I have no children around to be concerned about, my storage area isn't "open" or easily accessible and I've owned many Bronco's over many years.
Hey hope you are well and I have a question m I seem to be having issues with my gate and idk what exactly is wrong. I just replaced the latch assembly with a brand spanking new one. My handle still sticks out like so:

If I may ask, what is the safety that you refer to? Idk if you have a spare assembly laying around you can use to diagram and explain? Hate to bug you but I'm scratching my head. The assembly works perfectly now. No more bent parts like on my old one:

Idk if I put the rod in incorrectly or something but it's as if it's too long now.

The one with the yellow plastic nipple is the rod from the handle.

Here is a video I made with:

Thank you for your time!

The rod you focus on in your video (between the mechanism and the handle) is actually straighter than it should be. There are manufactured bends in it that get "pulled out" when the handle is used and the "window down" safety feature is NOT engaged. That is why the handle rests in a position where it's still sticking up. It's too long now, so the handle can't be seated in the hole properly. Putting the bends back in it will take up the space it's gained over time.

The "window down" safety feature is the long rod that hangs down from the handle/lever mechanism you replaced and it's supposed to catch the the window glass at the bottom. When it catches as designed, it pulls the L shaped bracket I referenced before out of the way, allowing the handle to open the latches easily when pulled on. Many owners have this issue after years of use and mistakenly "yanking" on the handle and forcing it to release while the safety catch rod isn't working as it should.

You'll need to re-bend the rod but the real problem is metal fatigue has now formed in the rod itself and with any resistance, it will straighten out easier in the future, which is why I choose to remove the "window down" safety feature as shown in the image above. I do not know of any supplier selling replacement rods.

Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts