Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '79 Bronco that I have been getting road worthy, on the way I was trying to fix the tailgate and it seems my motor is about to die(very slow and weak). But when I go online to search for a new tailgate motor all the new ones have 6 wires coming off them, the one I currently have only has 2. what do I do?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
715 Posts
You sure its not a combination of crusty weatherstripping and lack of lubrication making the window slow?
I'm not any help on a new motor, I've never actually bought a new one, always just fixed them or cobbled together old used junk....

·
Registered
270 Posts
You sure its not a combination of crusty weatherstripping and lack of lubrication making the window slow?
I'm not any help on a new motor, I've never actually bought a new one, always just fixed them or cobbled together old used junk....
Mine has become quite slow after replacing the non existant weatherstripping. Where would you say I should add lubricant to make it quicker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
715 Posts
I’ve sprayed dry Teflon spray stuff in the weatherstripping, and then some thicker spray lube on the gears of the regulator and all the pivot points inside the tailgate, and it seemed to help

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ford calls for a certain silicone spray lubricant for the vertical weatherstripping. I can’t remember the specifics, but google should have your answer. Makes an instant, noticeable improvement.

I rarely see a motor go bad. The plastic gears are known to strip, but the motors live. The replacements suck out of the box. Do what you can to make the original FOMOCO live another day.

·
Super Moderator
24,166 Posts
Yo 79,
As Nick advised.
Tailgate Lubrication:
Weatherstripping;
"Apply dry (Teflon) lube to the flocked surfaces that touch the glass on the intetior part of the horizontal "glass run" weatherstrip. Dry lube prevents noise & abrasion, and allows the glass to move faster; take off the TG access cover and spray slides & tracks with PTFE in the tracks on either side so the regulator toggles slide up and down easy"
by JKossarides

Ford recommends, "Use Silicone Lubricant C0AZ-19553-AA (jelly) and D7AZ-19553-AA (spray) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M13P4-A on the door and glass weatherstrips whenever necessary. Silicone lubricant helps avoid weatherstrip squeaks and retards excess weatherstrip wear from chafing between the door glass upper frame and the weatherstrip. It also helps to retain door glass alignment by reducing friction between the glass frame and the rubber weatherstrip. miesk5 note, test the silicone on a regular styrofoam cup first; if the cup gets funky or melts, then the can or tube contans oil, a regular occurrence now, esp if from China

Regulator, Hinge,
Use Multi-Purpose Grease to lubricate regulator, door and tailgate hinges. Apply an even coat to all hinge pivot points as outlined in the maintenance schedules or when a binding or squeaking condition occurs..."

When done, inspect motor for

BTW, 78-91 use a 3-blade connector (WPT-601/706) for the motor wiring

New motor @ https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/lighting---electrical-16777/tailgate-window-motor-11221/0e6fabd647fc/1978/ford/bronco

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yo 79,
As Nick advised.
Tailgate Lubrication:
Weatherstripping;
"Apply dry (Teflon) lube to the flocked surfaces that touch the glass on the intetior part of the horizontal "glass run" weatherstrip. Dry lube prevents noise & abrasion, and allows the glass to move faster; take off the TG access cover and spray slides & tracks with PTFE in the tracks on either side so the regulator toggles slide up and down easy"
by JKossarides

Ford recommends, "Use Silicone Lubricant C0AZ-19553-AA (jelly) and D7AZ-19553-AA (spray) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M13P4-A on the door and glass weatherstrips whenever necessary. Silicone lubricant helps avoid weatherstrip squeaks and retards excess weatherstrip wear from chafing between the door glass upper frame and the weatherstrip. It also helps to retain door glass alignment by reducing friction between the glass frame and the rubber weatherstrip. miesk5 note, test the silicone on a regular styrofoam cup first; if the cup gets funky or melts, then the can or tube contans oil, a regular occurrence now, esp if from China

Regulator, Hinge,
Use Multi-Purpose Grease to lubricate regulator, door and tailgate hinges. Apply an even coat to all hinge pivot points as outlined in the maintenance schedules or when a binding or squeaking condition occurs..."

When done, inspect motor for

View attachment 155866
BTW, 78-91 use a 3-blade connector (WPT-601/706) for the motor wiring

New motor @ https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/lighting---electrical-16777/tailgate-window-motor-11221/0e6fabd647fc/1978/ford/bronco
Something like this then? DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Aerosol Spray, 10 Oz. Amazon.com: DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Aerosol Spray, 10 Oz.: Industrial & Scientific

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Check it out , passenger side window lift motor is the same as the rear. Same part # and 2 wire.
I got a 78 so its roll up windows for driver and passenger side. They're just super tight rn and hard to roll up or down with the new weatherstripping

·
Super Moderator
24,166 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but it could be the tailgate rollers (which are actually square). They are also called square sliders (which actually describes better what they do) discussed in the linked thread, starting in post 16. Check out post 65 in Tore apart my tailgate...again to see pic and how to replace them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all, I will be looking into the grease for the hard top rubber that the glass goes into then, maybe I will have to take the motor apart after all to redo it, or look at those new motors, but with the new motors, (if it comes to that) the new motors with 6 wires are cheaper, is it possible to wire the six wires on the motor to the 2 coming into the tailgate?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thank you all, I will be looking into the grease for the hard top rubber that the glass goes into then, maybe I will have to take the motor apart after all to redo it, or look at those new motors, but with the new motors, (if it comes to that) the new motors with 6 wires are cheaper, is it possible to wire the six wires on the motor to the 2 coming into the tailgate?
Just got done redoing all my rubber today in my 78 and used that dry lube that miesi suggested and the issue is completely gone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts