Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
no ford trucks
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 79 and I cannot get the tailgate to open. :cry The window goes up and down but when it goes down it dosent go all the way. It stays up about 2-3 inches. Will this keep it from opening? The right side of the gate dosent seem to lock on the hinge, you can pull on it, but the left side is latched on and will not move. I pull the handle on the inside it pulls up but nothing happends. Any help? :brownbag

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
I had to push mine down the last little bit. Until I broke it, that is. I don't have to worry about it now, I just freeze driving to work in the morning.

I'd say, pop the panel off the tailgate and see what's going on. There is a mechanism of some sort that prevents you from opening the tail gate until the windwo is completly retracted.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
quick fix

Inside the tailgate is a safty latch that the window pushed down to allow the inside handle to actuate the latches. If you take the access panel off and feel inside the middle of the tail gate where the latch bolts up you will feel a rod that runs straight down and has a hook on the bottom. If you lower your window as far as it will go and then push that rod down then the inside handle will open the latches. With the age of these trucks and the notorious rear window seals your entire tailgate probably needs to be cleaned out and everything rel-lubed then it should work like the factory intended. I hope this helps.

·
no ford trucks
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I will try that. By the way I love your Bronco. I had it as my wallpaper on my computer before I bought mine. I hope mine turns out half as good as yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts