Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a tailgate thats in great shape from a 80's bronco to put on my 93'. i didnt think it would be a big deal to hook up, because only the wires and glass are different. i have the glass but dont know how to replace it and the wires arent as similar as i thought they would be. does anyone know how to replace the glass and convert the wires, or should i resell it and find a tailgate that matches the original?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
y did you post this twice. I would resell it and find one of the right year. in 1992 the bodies changed and so did a lot of other things. Im not saying it wont work, but make it easy on yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, ill look for another one for a decent price. i posted it twice on accident, how do you delete a thread?

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
yo
Wait

Swapping (t'gate differences between the years);
"...Amazingly throughout the number of body style changes from 78 through 96, the tailgate remained nearly the same. You can swap tailgates between all of these years taking note of the following: I've broken down the 3 major changes into their respective years.
78-79 Type A;
80-82 Type B;
83-96 Type C;

If your swapping within the same type it's just a direct swap. If swapping A & B you have to switch the glass and glass support brackets; If swapping B & C you have to switch latches and striker plates; If swapping A & C you have to switch the glass, glass support brackets, latches & striker plates..."
Source: by Mike M (MRM) at his old medicine.wisc.edu site via web.archive.net

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
yo
Wait

Swapping (t'gate differences between the years);
"...Amazingly throughout the number of body style changes from 78 through 96, the tailgate remained nearly the same. You can swap tailgates between all of these years taking note of the following: I've broken down the 3 major changes into their respective years.
78-79 Type A;
80-82 Type B;
83-96 Type C;

If your swapping within the same type it's just a direct swap. If swapping A & B you have to switch the glass and glass support brackets; If swapping B & C you have to switch latches and striker plates; If swapping A & C you have to switch the glass, glass support brackets, latches & striker plates..."
Source: by Mike M (MRM) at his old medicine.wisc.edu site via web.archive.net
I could be wrong here, but this guy is having a hard time swapping wires, so it may be a tad bit over his head to figure all that other stuff out and then swap everything over. No offense to ya bud.

I am not saying it cant be done because obviously it can be done, but it would be easier to find one from your year.

I have a lot of jy's in my area if you want one that bad I could grab it, and ship it for ya

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the input, i think im just gonna get another tailgate for my year instead of taking all the time to do the swap. i appreciate the offer to ship one up to me, but i live up in Alaska and shipping stuff up here isnt cheap, especially a tailgate. i only paid $250 for the one i got and easily could get $300 out of it, and then i could get another same year as my truck around $300. theres lots of Broncos and JY's up here.

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
thanks for all the input, i think im just gonna get another tailgate for my year instead of taking all the time to do the swap. i appreciate the offer to ship one up to me, but i live up in Alaska and shipping stuff up here isnt cheap, especially a tailgate. i only paid $250 for the one i got and easily could get $300 out of it, and then i could get another same year as my truck around $300. theres lots of Broncos and JY's up here.
yw, but what is the issue with the latch and striker bolt swap? They are simple bolt-on parts. You;ll be doing a lot of wrenching bolts anyaway with a straight year-to-year swap anyway as well as disco'ing the wiring harness, etc.:thumbup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not a same year to year swap. its an 80's bronco tailgate onto a 1993. the wires from the 80's bronco disconnect in the taillight housing and dont include the taillight and theres 3 plugs. the wires from the 93 disconnect under the truck behind the bumper and they include the tail light and theres 2 plugs none of which match up with the other tailgate. i dont really want to cut all the wires and reattach them.

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
ok
For a YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
http://www.mypartshop.com
Select year, etc, then FORD TRUCK
Didn't see TG listed, but it does show Tail Finish Panel
BRONCO Tail Finish Panel
MSI Auto Parts
800-451-7279
907-452-2695

GL!

·
Super Moderator
26,296 Posts
yo,
Maybe.. my Comcast conn is so bad it'll take me 30 mins to open that site & go thru the drill-down
When i don't see a specific part mentioned there; I look for the next higher assy or something that is close to it... really anything @ times so I can see who has a particular year in their yard; then the calls begin.

GL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts