Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1995 EB and I have a question about the tailgate. When I put the tailgate down, the tailgate isn't level with the bed, almost as if the cables suspending the tailgate are short. Is this how the broncos are or do I need to get some longer cables? Thanks for any help
Matt

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Mine lays flat when down so either the cables are too short if they were replaced, there's an obstruction somewhere on either side, check the brackets on either side where the TG box is mounted and check that tension rod on the right side and see if it's bent or broken etc. :doh0715:

Additional help: FSB member Steve83's - tailgate tech, click on his black Bronco and it takes you right to his album then scroll.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
27,002 Posts
yo, As my Bro-in-Videos, Grease & Repairing thASngs advised.

Also, you can get new cables at Adv Auto, etc.
Some make their own as Tony E (shadowcaster II) did

·
Registered
221 Posts
Remove the cable clips on the the side of the tailgate and see if it goes down all the way, if so you need longer cables... If not you have another problem blocking it... Are the cables tight when you let it down ?:popc1:

·
Registered
364 Posts
The clips come off easy, so if it doesn't go down, then you need to find out what is obstructing the tailgate from closing. Any auto store can replace the cables for cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a visit to the auto parts store, I found out the cables are the correct length from the factory, but the tailgate doesn't go down all the way. It seems as if the cables are about an inch short. The cables are 18" and i need about 19" cables to let the tailgate sit level with the rest of the cargo area. I might just try to find some 19" ones at Autozone or make some of my own.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Have you looked at the tailgate alignment? The in/out and up/down alignment will affect how the tailgate lays when open. The Steve83 link has a procedure for aligning the tailgate. (Or the hinge brackets might be bent)

Good Luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
be careful if the gate assist still works. (you'll be able to tell if the back gate is heavy as hell or not...) either way. when her gate's all the way closed. make sure the body lines are properly alligned. when u take out the tail lights its best to work with some kind of help. second set -o- hands and leverage. I found out the hard way. its not fun. but you also need to make sure your bottomm isnt bent out or anything where the bed goes down towards the tank. but either way you need to get everything else alligned otherwise you could break your glass if its not got the safety lock like mine has if its not clicked in all the way. make sure your strikers and the brackets are in their proper place... have a good one and keep her outta the scrap pile! them chevys need a place to die quietly.
:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at it all yesterday, and I'm pretty sure there isn't anything out of alignment or anything heeding the bumper from going all the way down. I think the gate came the way it is now out of the factory. It just bugs me, so I guess now I'm in search of a way to bring the tailgate lower, and it seems like all I need to do to achieve that is lengthen the cables.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts