Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty heres my newest problem...

When i close the tailgate, It latches on both sides, But hangs off the strike abour 1/2 inch or so on the passenger side. I from the outside, there is a pretty good gap there, And im afraid it might be enough to let water in and whatnot. It had always been a little bad on that side, But for some reason it just got worse.

Is there an adjustment i can make? Or will i just have to live with a bastardized tailgate?

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
Hold the t/g ALMOST closed and look at the gap at the BOTTOM. If the R side has a wider gap than the L, loosen the 3 bolts on the bottom of the t/g that hold the R hinge on and align it so it's even. Then it should be even at the top.

If the bottom is even and the top ISN'T, then your t/g is twisted. :( :cry

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
double check to see if the plastic "sleeve" that covers the stricker has rotted away...happened to me had to buy a new stricker...:shrug

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strikers are good on both sides.

Ill check the other suggestions later on today.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any other suggestions? I played around with the latch screws on the t/g today...Nothing.

I dont think my tailgate is twisted, but still on the top part of the passenger side...there is about a 1/4-1/2'' gap between the body and the t/g.

Bah!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Have you played around with the actual placement of the strikers themselves. If I'm not mistaken those striker bolts thread into a piece of sheetmetal, kinda like how the spare tire carrier mounts onto the quarter panel. These strikers are adjustable to a certain extent either forward/back, up/down. They may be out of alignment now or you may just have a bad latch on the tailgate itself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If the plastic striker bushings are still in good shape I'd suspect that the latch on that side is all gummed up with crap. They don't usually just go out of adjustment unless you're really flexing the body off road.

Take off the access panel, and spray some carb or brake cleaner on the inside of the latches, then lube them up. Do the same with the outside part of the latch as well.

·
Super Moderator
25,833 Posts
our latches on the 96 loosened; needed tightening; and also look at the 2 cables for interference

1 - 10 of 10 Posts