Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again!

I was warned that if it´s not properlly installed it can hit an break the rear glass.

So I gave it some thought and came up with an idea..What if I try to use a gas spring? like the ones that come on the new cars trunks and SUV´s tailgates...would that work?

The problem is that the Bronco´s tailgate would be the way round...must be stopped when opening it and would need "help" to get it closed...while these springs work pushing out the trunk/gate and use that same weight to get it closed:popc1:

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
yo SANTIF,
Give it a try - how would you mount it?

I'd remove the torsion bar if bracket(s) or bracket(s) mounting area is badly rusted.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
It would be cool if there was a kit that contained Pancake motors and cables to remotely raise and lower the tailgate.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is that to mount those springs they would have to be under the articulation of the tailgate...so as to help pushing up the tailgate al closing it and help stopping it when it´s being opened...that seems complicated. Plus, the anoying part of raising the tailgate is when is fully opened...and gas springs are hard to close when fully opened :doh0715:

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
You could use a double acting pneumatic cylinder with the exhaust port plugged off. Having the exhaust port plugged off means that as the cylinder is extended, the air is being compressed inside and that will build up pressure and act as a progressive spring.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
the gates heavy but not that heavy without the torsion bar. granted my girl dont like it, but she cant lower the hood without climbing on the bumper also.:toothless

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course, the cylinder would need to be sized appropriately so you don't blow out the seals in it.

Ideally, a tension gas spring (Close-Assist Gas Springs with Ball-Joint Fittings) should be used- http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-springs/=e7y66o
Thanks man! :thumbup

We´ll see If I can find something like that around here, I didn´t know that traction gas springs existed:toothless

The other idea I had in mind was using hood springs, but that gas spring looks really nice

·
Registered
731 Posts
the gates heavy but not that heavy without the torsion bar. granted my girl dont like it, but she cant lower the hood without climbing on the bumper also.:toothless
Agreed, I have no problem opening/closing without the torsion bar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts