Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Bronco, 302, C6, 4x4, AC, Cruise, Power Win / Doors, all original equip
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! Been a while since I posted but still using the wealth of info on the forum as a very valuable resource as I get closure to completing my project. I read this on a post from 2011 concerning the tailgate swap:
78 - 79 Type A
80 - 82 Type B
83 - 96 Type C

If your swapping within the same "type" it's just a direct swap.
If swapping A & B you have to switch the glass and glass support brackets
If swapping B & C you have to switch latches and striker plates

Since that was some years ago I wanted to double check. I'm about to swap my 82 tailgate for a 94 tailgate. Does the above info mean I remove the latches and striker plates from my 82 and replace them with the ones from the 94 tailgate or is it the other way around? Is there any drilling or fabricating required?

Thanks to all who assist as always!!

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,140 Posts
I'm about to swap my 82 tailgate for a 94 tailgate. Does the above info mean I remove the latches and striker plates from my 82 and replace them with the ones from the 94 tailgate...
I haven't personally done it, but that's the way I read it. You need the 94 parts because you're putting a 94 tailgate on your 82.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't personally done it, but that's the way I read it. You need the 94 parts because you're putting a 94 tailgate on your 82.
Thanks. Thats what I thought but was unsure. That tailgate is so heavy that once I get it outside and positioned with the old one off I don't want any major surprises. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
28,768 Posts
Yo Spencer,
As SRWILLIS confirmed!
Swapping (t'gate differences between the years); "...Amazingly throughout the number of body style changes from 78 through 96, the tailgate remained nearly the same. You can swap tailgates between all of these years taking note of the following: I've broken down the 3 major changes into their respective years. 78-79 Type A; 80-82 Type B; 83-96 Type C; If your swapping within the same type it's just a direct swap. If swapping A & B you have to switch the glass and glass support brackets; If swapping B & C you have to switch latches and striker plates; If swapping A & C you have to switch the glass, glass support brackets, latches & striker plates..." by Mike M (MRM) at his old medicine.wisc.edu site @ Tailgate Swapping

Reactions: SRWillis

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Mr. Miesk as always. You never disappoint. It was actually your info that I shared with SRWillis in the first post. You both are super appreciated!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tailgate swap install went great!! Thanks to all for the tips. Took me hours and the strength of Hercules but I got it mostly done. Now the problem: I can not get the striker bolts off of my 82 to which means I cant install the 94 strikers. I have tried lubing to death, phillips head drill bit and a pathetic screw extractor (which I am taking back to the store) and beating it to death mentally!!! Does anybody have a solid solution they can share to relieve me of this nightmare!!!

Also, the 94 strikers I have only have one bolt each and a L-shaped bracket attached to the passenger side striker. They appear to attach to the rear end different than the 82's with mounting plate and two bolts. I am going to do a google search for this but if anyone has photos of the striker swap please send it on over. It almost seemed like my original strikers would line up but I didn't want to lock the gate on those and then have the latch not release when I pull the gate handle. Thanks for any advice and assistance

·
Super Moderator
28,768 Posts
Yo Spencer,
After soaking it from the backside with PB Blaster then weld a bolt to the head of the screw.
Add heat to the bolt.
Consider PB Blaster.
I forget if the striker bolts "backside" can be accessed after removing tail lights: too many cars and trucks have messed withmy memory.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Mieske but I am no welder. I did read about that but it wasn't an option for me. You can access and I did lube/PB blast like crazy the back sides of the bolts behind the rear light lenses. Thanks so much for the response. I'll lube more and more. Somethings gotta give!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Try an impact driver. They make ones you can hit with a hammer if need be. I think the screws are #4 phillips so make sure you get one where the bit will fit snugly in the screw heads. I've had mine loose and I recall it being a pain. A torch in that area may also help free things up.

·
Super Moderator
28,768 Posts
Yo Spencer,
As packagerjr advised.
My much-better-half reminded me that sometimes we used a small oscillating tool powered by battery or house voltage.
Yeah, she's my go-to source for my memory issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, thanks for the much needed advice on the striker bolt removal. Still working on that success story. In the meantime, I removed the handle assembly to lube and bend back the very bent metal tab (#2 in photo). I reconnected the spring (#6 in photo). I could not get the interlock rod coming from the bottom of the tailgate connected back in its place (#1 in photo). For some reason it is to short to reach the assembly. I don't get that because I removed it so it should simply go back. So, my tailgate is open fully while I am doing this job. If I pull on the handle it will not come up at all. The handle lever (#4 in photo) is not moving to push the latch lever. Where exactly have I went wrong here. As you can see, I've done quite a bit of reading and googling before finally reaching out for some advice!!! the photo is compliments of this link on the forum I was learning from:

Green Font Wood Auto part Machine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts