Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a 1990 Eddie Bauer about 5-6 years ago. I just bought a new one about a month ago and the tailgate feels like it weighs 300lbs when I open it. I assume it's a problem with the torsion rod. I've never dealt with one of these before and I know they can be pretty dangerous. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you fix it? I'd appreciate any ideas or tips.

Here's a tip that might help someone else out. If you're on a tight budget try this: rather than buy an expensive spindle nut kit to install Warn hubs on your three screw autohub setup, just find a factory manual hub truck in the junkyard and get the pieces you need for the conversion. You can tag and bag all the parts and get them for $5-$10.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Spray the hinges with WD-40. That's what I did, and now it's smooth as can be. Same with the rear window motor gears.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
my torsion rod's broke, thought of replacing it... .... and never stoped thinking about it, but i do think i will bring it to a auto body shop and let them do it. for now make sure the cables are good and Dont drop it.... to much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sounds like the torsion bar is disconnected or missing. I just unbolted the bracket for mine after the inner brace for it inside the tailgate let go and it smashed my rear window to smitherines. If it's disconnected or missing, it's probably because the same thing happened to that truck and smashed a window. That being said, it's likely you need a new tailgate or some good fab skills.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds like the torsion bar is disconnected or missing. I just unbolted the bracket for mine after the inner brace for it inside the tailgate let go and it smashed my rear window to smitherines. If it's disconnected or missing, it's probably because the same thing happened to that truck and smashed a window. That being said, it's likely you need a new tailgate or some good fab skills.
LOL-- same thing happened to mine. Smashed the rear glass to smither -- still getting glass pieces her and there...

I just used my angle grinder with a cutoff blade and cut the bar right by the hinge after the window smashed (before I put the new glass in ) :thumbup

:banghead Just not worth taking it all apart to replace the torsion bar

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm saving mine to install in the new gate.;)
I was so frustrated it just felt a little better knowing I killed it - LOL :twak

It's not so heavy once you get used to it and it's funny to see other peoples expression when they try opening/closing it after I give them that quick warning :histerica

1 - 9 of 9 Posts