Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did some searching and found nothing specifically.

The tailgate window worked till a week ago.

When either the switch for the rear window is applied the motor will run and sound like this. wirrrr......wirrrr.....wirrrr.....wirrrr...... hope that helps. However the window will not go up or down.

I can lift the window by hand and lower it by hand and it does feel like it is catching every couple of inches but still moves by hand. While pulling it up by hand and turning the tailgate switch on with the key you can feel the motor trying to lift the window but only during the wirrr cycle. hope that also helps.

Unfortunately while driving the window drops down slowly with each bump until it is almost down.

Also, how do I locate the steve83 article on tailgate issues?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes

just took the motor out and the gear can be turned by hand because it lifts up while spinning causing it to ride up on what is supposed to be turning it. If I press down on the gear and try to turn it it wont budge.

Seems like a clip popped off causing the gear to rise but there is no groove for a clip to fit in.

Is a missing clip possibly the cause or has the gear stripped the part that spins it?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,407 Posts
There are 3 small plastic pieces inside of the motor's gearbox that fail as these trucks get older. It sounds like that's probably your problem. They're called torque pins, & not too bad to replace. Quoted below are the links from post 3 of Common Replies to FAQs. There's more info in that post, but links 4 & 5 below give part numbers & show how to replace the pins.

Some good resource links:

1-Fireguy50's wiring diagram, see post 2. Great color diagram for 80-96s, it makes it much easier to understand what's going on.

2-Tailgate WIndow Wiring Diagram miesk5 provides a diagram for 78-79s by the ORC Staff at ford.off-road.com in post 3

3-Steve83's Tailgate Tech. Great pics & info. Look through the entire section for the portion that applies to your problem.

4-adrianspeeder's pics (He's doing torque pins for a passenger window, for the tailgate you don't need to drill).

5-Torque pins, motors, etc.

6-Steve83's How to align a Bronco Tailgate

7-JKossarides' info on replacement striker bushing numbers & wiring harness issues -See post 3.

8-Fireguy50's Re-wire your Tailgate window switch (FINISHED) Upgrade diagram using relays.

·
Registered
139 Posts
just took the motor out and the gear can be turned by hand because it lifts up while spinning causing it to ride up on what is supposed to be turning it. If I press down on the gear and try to turn it it wont budge.

Seems like a clip popped off causing the gear to rise but there is no groove for a clip to fit in.

Is a missing clip possibly the cause or has the gear stripped the part that spins it?

If you got the motor out you and already 50% there. May as well put new gears and such in there...or simply replace it with another new or JY motor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for that page.

Took the motor apart after reading the above and yes the torque pins are in pieces. Probably going to buy new due to the fact that the motor barely pushed the window up so guessing it must be tired. Also one of the mounting bolts had stripped in the motor and was no longer holding.

What do you think about LMC Truck for this part at $79.

·
Registered
139 Posts
thank you for that page.

Took the motor apart after reading the above and yes the torque pins are in pieces. Probably going to buy new due to the fact that the motor barely pushed the window up so guessing it must be tired. Also one of the mounting bolts had stripped in the motor and was no longer holding.

What do you think about LMC Truck for this part at $79.
If you wanna pay that. You can locate them at a JY for around $25 or so. Just take your 19 volt cordless drill battery and touch off on it and it should work. I found complete junk tailgates for less than $79 and took parts from it. Too bad your so far away. I got 2 extra motors and fetch $35 each here in Alaska for them. But...if you buy a new one...you KNOW it will work...for a long time. When your in there though...I'd clean and lube the regulator and all the latches. Also...2 bolts pull out the window guides. Look to see if the runs are bad and replace the black track runs. $14 through jeff's bronco graveyard. Also the aftermarket window motors are $50 there as well. http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-82-tailgate-bronco.html You will have super smoothe window glide if you replace your motor, lube up the regulator and relpace the glass run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts