Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the tailgate rewire by eighty5eddie after I replaced the tailgate and fixed the wiring debacle the PO left. Now the dash switch works and the key switch works. However when it is all the way up I am not able to get it down and have to use a suction cup to get it down until it is more near the middle then it goes fast then it slows down again near the bottom and I have to push it down. It then stops before going all the way down because it hits something or gets caught on something solid as it just comes to a halt. It is not a power problem as even when I used to use a jump box connected directly to the plugs it would have the same problem. It has a new window regulator and a new doorman motor. Could it be one of those things causing the problem, maybe the motor is not powerful enough or regulator is putting to much pressure on the motor and it cannot fight back against that. I also tried it with the truck on and it revving with the same results as before.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,964 Posts
Your sliders on your regulator are seized.

Unbolt the window from the slider tracks, remove the slider tracks and lube up the squares. They should spin freely. If they don't, you'll have the issue you're having.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,964 Posts
If you can't turn them by hand, spray them with some PB Blaster and use the slider tracks as a wrench to work them free. Then ad a dab of dish soap to the center pin that they spin on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I did take it all apart and the driver side one seemed to move very smoothly but the passenger one didn’t seem as smooth but still both seemed to move fairly easy. So now I will take the window completely out and turn the motor to see if it is that passenger slider. I also took the sliders out that I greased before and completely cleaned them of the old grime and grease with a pick, brake cleaner and paper towels. I also noticed that the passenger one did not slide side to side as easy either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used crc heavy duty silicone spray and cleaned out the channels, roll up and down faster than new vehicles 😂

·
Registered
89 Posts
Along these lines and apologies if this is considered a “hijack” but I’ve had all new felt put in my front two door windows and when the felt was “out” those two windows went up licked-split. Now, the drivers side is fine, albeit a little bit slower, but the passenger side is on the struggle bus fully closing. Always closes though.. Is this something that time will fix? Is there a lubricant I should apply, is the felt not fully seated, will this burn out the motor? All this and more “On the Twighlight Zone”...

KCD

·
Registered
46 Posts
My rear window was doing this also. My money is on the sliders. Took it all apart last weekend, and it was the slider on the passenger side. It was all but seized. Cleaned it up and used lithium grease. Works like new now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By sliders do you mean the metal c-channel that moves the window up and down, I did the same thing and I can't even get my window down when its all the way up.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,964 Posts
The sliders are the squares that go into the c-channel. They have to be able to rotate and rotate FREELY. If you can't spin them without any force, then they need attention. They tend to seize up from dirt and rust.

·
Super Moderator
24,688 Posts
Yo Griffin,
Slider squares, aka Window Roller Dorman 74402

Available at most parts stores such as Advance Auto for $3.29 each
0fea4fe2-061f-451a-bfbb-8f9dac3d427c_1.506fef7d628f0a82b69426c94485d4bd.jpeg

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I guess I’ll replace both since there so cheap, not sure why they would be like this though because it’s a new regulator and I think the sliders are new as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ll tell you why Bezos is winning. I went to 4! Different Auto parts stores today, AutoZone, Advance, O’Reillys’s(2), and not one of them had these. I got on Amazon and ordered 2 for delivery tomorrow for less than 10 bucks. I hate it as much as the next guy but sheesh...

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,138 Posts
Another possibility is the motor's nylon bushings. I just dealt with my first tailgate window mini-crisis this week ... I even said out loud, good thing it was this week and not last week when it rained every day ... only to have it rain heavy the next day despite a bone dry forecast. Doh.

I never had any unusual noises prior, but I got the telltale clunking/clicking noise as the motor turned and the glass didn't move. The motor bushings were disintegrated into a hundred pieces. With it back together, the window is like Speed Racer up and down. Before, it was always pretty quick on the bottom half to two-thirds, but slowed significantly up top. I'm guessing the bushings were slowly deteriorating and allowing gear slippage up top where there's more hardtop channel resistance, then finally gave up.

Mine didn't slow down at the bottom like yours, but the rest is a close enough fit to investigate.

p.s. I removed the motor without taking out the regulator, and I can vouch for Steve83's comment that it is much more difficult that way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another possibility is the motor's nylon bushings. I just dealt with my first tailgate window mini-crisis this week ... I even said out loud, good thing it was this week and not last week when it rained every day ... only to have it rain heavy the next day despite a bone dry forecast. Doh.

I never had any unusual noises prior, but I got the telltale clunking/clicking noise as the motor turned and the glass didn't move. The motor bushings were disintegrated into a hundred pieces. With it back together, the window is like Speed Racer up and down. Before, it was always pretty quick on the bottom half to two-thirds, but slowed significantly up top. I'm guessing the bushings were slowly deteriorating and allowing gear slippage up top where there's more hardtop channel resistance, then finally gave up.

Mine didn't slow down at the bottom like yours, but the rest is a close enough fit to investigate.

p.s. I removed the motor without taking out the regulator, and I can vouch for Steve83's comment that it is much more difficult that way.
That can’t be it it’s a new motor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts