Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i have a 94 bronco and would like to fix my back window. The dash board switch wont work but the key will. It will come down about 2 or 3in by itself then i have to push down on it with my arm to get it to go the rest of the way down. Same on the way up it will go up about 2 or 3in then i have to help it back up. Could this be the motor? or somthing else?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Welcome to FSB

All you will ever need to know about the tailgate is in this write up by Steve83. Read it and it's guaranteed to fix whatever tailgate problems you may encounter.

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12689-2

Good luck

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
X2 for Steve83 tailgate tech, it's how I fixed my TG handle...a quick check if you can get the window down to open/drop the tailgate is to make sure the tailgate "closes flush" with the body line otherwise the safety switch inside near the key cylinder prevents the window from working. Using a # T-50 Torx socket you can loosen and adjust the "door striker bolt" (Doorman # 38420) slightly inward and make sure the "door striker bushing" (Doorman # 38424) on the bolt is intact, it's the anti -rattle device for doors and tailgate.

Both Doorman parts can be found in the Help section of most auto stores.

Another issue to check with the TG down is the wiring harness coming out of the left rear quarter panel, over time from opening/closing the tailgate the wiring gets bent and damaged possibily affecting voltage to the power window motor, you'll notice the wiring goes into the side of the TG box runs along the bottom inside with a elec/ connector to the power window motor.

Window and TG handle, as the window goes down it catches a long (L) rod taking it all the way down clearing the handle to open/release side latches. Think of a cross pattern + the side cables - - come towards the center when you pull up on the handle to release the latches on each side, so the window has to go all the way down below the the top of the tailgate box weather strip area in order for the handle to work otherwise you can bend parts/levers in the handle and it won't work properly.

I was fortunate with Steve83's TG tech comparing his pictures and took out the handle to discover bent lever parts inside, straightened and realigned them and now it works like a charm....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
110 Posts
X2 to Steve's write-up. It sounds like the motor's working. You need to pull the motor and see if the internals need to be rebuilt. If they are disintegrated, you can buy a rebuild kit or use washers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts