Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma:

My tailgate doesn't open. I have had it open once by removing the panel and yanking on the levers. I'm not sure what's wrong and I have heard there is a safety device that won't let the door open if the window isn't down.

My question is, does the window go all the way into the tailgate? Because mine stops about 3-4 inches from disappearing into the tailgate.

If it's something wrong with the window, I can go that route, but if it's the latch assembly, that's a whole other route.

Someone please help.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
My question is, does the window go all the way into the tailgate? Because mine stops about 3-4 inches from disappearing into the tailgate.
Thats your problem. There is a small "lever" that attaches to the latch assembly, that the window depresses when it goes down. When this lever is pressed down by the window, it essentially "unlocks" the latch assembly that allows you to open the tailgate.

Yes. The window goes ALL the way INTO the tailgate.

KC

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
So, any tips on how to fix this problem?
Well, search/look through steve83's tailgate album (on www.supermotors.net) to get aquainted with whats inside the tailgate. Then after learning some more about it, search on here for solutions (keywords for inside the tailgate).

First I would take the access panel off an look inside to see what is causing it to not go all the way down. :shrug

KC

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
First I would take the access panel off an look inside to see what is causing it to not go all the way down. :shrug
:stupid I had my panel off for a few months (don't remember why) after i had it back on and when i went to put the window down it wouldn't. Opened it up to find a crushed beer can blocking it

EDIT:: AND No i don't drink and drive...so it got there some other way.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Dude just take it apart, It's really simple inside those things. Well mine is, I got a '78. Look for whats stopping your window from going all the way down. Mine I found easily and I found out the problem with my brothers. and im only 15.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KC200787, you're a life saver! I read through that supermotors post and got pretty familiar with the guts of the tailgate. I found that there was actually a piece of metal that the window was hitting. I don't know what it is, but I took a pair of pliers and bent it out of the way, and the window opens all the way, therefore the tailgate opens!

Thanks a million!

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Good to hear it's working. :thumbup

KC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts