Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tailgate window will move when I push the switch in the dash, but only a little. I goes up 3-6 inches, and almost all the way down. I can hear the motor even when the window stops.

I dropped the tailgate and opened the access panel. I can push and pull the window up and down, but it hangs up a little in a few places.

From the searches I've done and the Steve83 Tailgate Tech, I think I need to replace the torque pins in the motor. Does that sound right? Will the window move at all with the torque pins damaged?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Replace the pins( I just did mine, using the three 1/4" nut trick like Steve details). Works perfect now.

And yes, if your window is still attached to the track and arms, you'll be able to lift her up and push her down when the pins are shot.

And if you get real creative, you may wanna drill three 7/16" diameter holes in your tail gate to help you access the three mounting bolts. I did that last month too----one hole is exposed but the other two get covered with the metal cover panel. No big thing.

Btw, if you REALLY had searched, you'd have found 9 million pages on this subject----it's been covered to absolute death already...........:smokin:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ricky. And I REALLY searched all 9 million threads! My main question is will the motor still move the window with the pins all chewed up. None of the 9 million threads was specific about that...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was it. Got the motor opened and there was nothing but chunks and grease.

I'm not much of a mechanic. When you say replace the pins with 1/4 inch nuts, is that measured by the outer diameter or inner diameter? Or socket size?

PD

·
Registered
339 Posts
dont get yer fingers in there and the saftey cog is like 10 bucks from lmc...did the same 1/4 20 trick on the camp bronc and still works just fine...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I got it all back together and the window goes up and down, but there is a thumping noise as the window goes up from about 1/4 to 3/4 of travel. It slows down a bit and then the noise stops and it closes up. Maybe it's binding up somewhere. Any ideas on how to diagnose that?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts